PDA

View Full Version : Question about putting out flyers

Zealot
10-28-2002, 12:06 PM
I`m going to be putting out some flyers this week, and was wondering if walking is the best way, or riding a bike? What method did some of you use? I`ll be going to upper-end neighborhoods and since I myself live in a golf course community, I`m going to hit the parking lot there as well. Thanks for any info!

Scottwax
10-28-2002, 01:35 PM
I put out flyers on foot. I saturated all the high end neighborhoods and DFW Airport and Love Field until security at the airports told me I wasn`t allowed to put flyers on cars. Oh well, by that point, I had been putting them out for about 3-4 months and distributed around 5000 or so. Only real problem is it spread out my customer base over too wide an area, but at that time, I was still just starting out and didn`t care. After I started getting regular business, I just put flyers out on rainy days and focused on nearby righ neighborhoods.

I haven`t put out flyers in around 5-6 years now (no need, I am booked up almost constantly....except the past two weeks because of constant rain :mad: ), but if I see a nice car, I will put a business card on it.

Redcar GUY
10-28-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

if I see a nice car, I will put a business card on it.

I do the same, or try to talk to the owner and tell them it is a nice car:)

imported_Aurora40
10-28-2002, 02:53 PM
I have to say, as a guy who cares about my car, the thought of some dude prying up my wiper to slip a flyer under it really annoys me. I would never use any service that advertised by touching my car. Perhaps you should try mailboxes instead. Just my $.02...

Scottwax
10-28-2002, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Aurora40

I have to say, as a guy who cares about my car, the thought of some dude prying up my wiper to slip a flyer under it really annoys me. I would never use any service that advertised by touching my car. Perhaps you should try mailboxes instead. Just my $.02...

I got calls on about 3-4% of the flyers I put out at the airports. I really didn`t like touching someone else`s car without their permission, but I was able to put out probably 200-300 per hour, if not more since cars are parked so close to each other. Never got a single negative call, either.

I did prefer putting them on houses though, even though it took longer. BTW it is illegal for anyone other than a USPS employee to deliver anything via your mailbox. Put them on the door instead, an honor any `no soliciting signs`.

Zealot
10-28-2002, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, I really appreciate it:) Scottwax I really like the airport idea. Hell I`ve thought about doing at the Wal-Mart that`s 2 miles from my house. Oh and were you guys putting out color or B&W flyers? I made up a double-sided brochure, and a single sided flyer. I can make B&W copies at Staples for $.05 each, but the color ones are nearly $1 per copy.

Dave

imported_Aurora40
10-28-2002, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

BTW it is illegal for anyone other than a USPS employee to deliver anything via your mailbox.

Ahh yes. I forgot about that.

Scottwax
10-28-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by DP-Jedi

Thanks for the tips guys, I really appreciate it:) Scottwax I really like the airport idea. Hell I`ve thought about doing at the Wal-Mart that`s 2 miles from my house. Oh and were you guys putting out color or B&W flyers? I made up a double-sided brochure, and a single sided flyer. I can make B&W copies at Staples for $.05 each, but the color ones are nearly $1 per copy.

Dave

I`ll try to scan one of my old ones if I can find any and post it. I used colored paper, but black ink for the copy.

I wouldn`t use the airport idea these days with all the extra security. They might be real quick to check out anyone who appears to be loitering. I put mine out at the airports about 6-7 years ago.

imported_Intel486
10-28-2002, 08:57 PM
I usually put flyers on houses. I carry business cards everywhere I go and I walk through the parking lot everywhere I go and put flyers on nice cars I see.

For flyers on houses I take a stample gun and lay the flyer flat on the door and put stamples all around it so it makes them read it as they remove it. I know they aren`t just pulling it out the door handle and throwing it away... and I get about 98% return on calls too!!! Most of them talk really loud in the phone though and I can`t understand them. Must be my damned cell phone :nixweiss

Zealot
10-28-2002, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Intel486

I usually put flyers on houses. I carry business cards everywhere I go and I walk through the parking lot everywhere I go and put flyers on nice cars I see.

For flyers on houses I take a stample gun and lay the flyer flat on the door and put stamples all around it so it makes them read it as they remove it. I know they aren`t just pulling it out the door handle and throwing it away... and I get about 98% return on calls too!!! Most of them talk really loud in the phone though and I can`t understand them. Must be my damned cell phone :nixweiss

LOL:p

Nagchampa
11-01-2002, 07:10 PM
What format did you save your flyer in? I am going to design some for the spring and I noticed that some print shops prefer the .tif format, while others prefer acrobat.

imported_Intel486
11-01-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Nagchampa

What format did you save your flyer in? I am going to design some for the spring and I noticed that some print shops prefer the .tif format, while others prefer acrobat.

I currently print my own out.

I have color ones I only give out to people who request them and ppl I actually talk to. They are full page and have most of my services listed.

I then have 1/2 page black and white flyers. I print them out myself and then take them to Kinkos and use their paper cutter to chop in half :D

The print shop I talked to accepts almost any file. You`ll have to ask them. Just remember for color it needs to be in CMYK (four color) and not RGB.