PDA

View Full Version : Clearcoat stumped

superman112
10-27-2002, 10:02 PM
My buddy has a 2002 GTI, Black. He had a an oak leaf land flat on the hood and sit over night. When it was pulled off it left a perfect outline of the leaf in the clearcoat. I`m very comfortable with my detaling abilities, but for the life of me, can`t get this outline completely off the hood. I`m assuming that the acid from the leaf took a shot at the clearcoat, but I can`t believe the clearcoat is this weak to damage. Can anyone offer some suggestions? I have gone at it with the buffer and two different 3M compounds; 1500 and 1200. TIA

imported_Tony
10-27-2002, 10:18 PM
Ok, I was going to try and say something funny but its not funny is it. If it is just the outline and not the whole leaf then I don`t believe it is etched. Try to obtain a magnifying glass about 30x power and look into the paint to determine if it is through the clear. If it is through the clear you know what must be done but if not you still have a chance.

Good luck

Steve @ Guru
10-27-2002, 10:59 PM
1500 & 1200?? Wetsanding?

Man, if the wetsanding didn`t take care of it, I think you might be stuck with the outline...VW paint is pretty soft, but wow - I can`t believe that!

:(

mrdetailer
10-27-2002, 11:51 PM
or 3M Cleaner Wax Medium Oxidation remover. I have been successful with etched rain spots that fine cut cleaners didn`t take off. Warning, DACP should not be used by hand. the 3M Cleaner Wax can be used by hand.

ultrajim49
10-28-2002, 06:34 AM
Wow,

I know that oak trees have a fair amound of acid in them , but to etch your clear so deep overnight?

I was in a simmilar situation ,not with an oaktree-leaf, but with an other tree`s leaf.Found out in the morning , it allso left a nice outline after I removed it.

As the car had about 5 coats of Z at that time,I cleaned that spot with alcohol and away was the "etching".

It was in the Z!

What protection was on your car?

Christiaan

:wavey

bjwebster
10-28-2002, 06:58 AM
Eeeeek! That Is A Good Reminder This Time Of Year, How Dangerous Leaves Can Be.

When You Mention The 1200 and The 1500, Were you referring to compounds or to wet sand paper?

superman112
11-01-2002, 10:26 AM
I don`t know what protection the car had on it, being that it wasn`t mine. When I referred to 1200 and 1500, I was talking about the 3M compound. I`m still practicing my wetsanding techniques and haven`t gotten the nerve to do his brand new car yet. The buffing helped to reduce the outline, but not remove it completely. He had this same issue with some bird poop as well, that was on the car in a lesser amount of time.