PDA

View Full Version : Help dealer put holes in Front Bumper for Plate

Pages : [1] 2

PeterY
10-26-2002, 09:58 PM
Help, i just took off my front plate trying to put on my Nose Mask and i realized that the dealer driller holes into the front bumper instead of underneath the way Acura reccommends. well i`m gonna try to raise hell and see if i can get a new bumper( you never know) IDEAS?? but in the meantime what can i do to make the holes less noticable. Screws? Plugs? Anything. Thanks

JAGOWNER1981
10-26-2002, 10:06 PM
id think twice about putting that bra on....they can cause severe scratching, just not my cup of tea.

Redcar GUY
10-26-2002, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by AlBoston

id think twice about putting that bra on....they can cause severe scratching, just not my cup of tea.

I would agree with Al on that, also about the holes... I would talk to the dealer too... but I bet they will not do anything about it :rolleyes: I really cant think of anything that you coulds use to "fill in" or "cover" them up. I had a friend that had holes like that on the front of his stang, after he "pluged" them it looked worse:nono

aljo
10-26-2002, 10:35 PM
If you raise hell in Acura, and prove to them that they are supposed to put brackets from underneath instead of drilling holes. I think you can get them to at least "fill" the holes and repaint that area of the bumper.

BumpersPlus2
10-26-2002, 11:16 PM
The dealer will probally try to give you some song and dance, about how they do that to all their cars, etc. I wouldnt get the whole bumper repainted because of that. Jason

Tiger88
10-26-2002, 11:21 PM
Most states require that you have a front plate anyway. Save yourself a fine and just leave the plate on.

Redcar GUY
10-26-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Tiger88

Most states require that you have a front plate anyway. Save yourself a fine and just leave the plate on.

not in Indiana, also no emissions testing;)

~Sweet home Indiana~

PerfectionDetailing
10-26-2002, 11:32 PM
I dont know if this guy can help but I bought my plugs for my Boxster at www.bumperplugs.com. I know he also sells em for BMW and Porsche. Shoot him an email, maybe he can help.

Tiger88
10-26-2002, 11:32 PM
Yeah RCG, I went for years without a front plate in California, but a friend of mine got tagged while parked in a commuter parking lot. It was a cheap shot by the cops, but it happens.

Besides, you might want to take a road trip someday and other states might not be so friendly.

I anguished for a long time as to whether or not I`d put on the front plate. Another thought that I had was that if somebody taps the front end trying to parallel park they`ll break the license plate bracket before they ding the bumper.

Scottwax
10-26-2002, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Tiger88

It depends on the state. If Peter lives in a state where a front plate is not mandatory, I would raise heck if I was him and demand the dealer replace, not repair the bumper, especially since Acura recommends a different mounting point for the front plate. IMO, the dealer had no right to drill the front bumper without clearing it with him first.

laynlow
10-26-2002, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Redcar GUY

not in Indiana, also no emissions testing;)

~Sweet home Indiana~

I like Oklahoma and now I might like Indiana. Depends on the gun laws.

OK does not require a front plate, unless you have a catchy one-liner that you simply must display for all the world to see. We are also sans state vehicle inspections. :xyxthumbs

jimmybuffit
10-27-2002, 12:07 AM
Trust us, you`ll love Indiana! Need a gun permit? OK

scoop
10-27-2002, 05:08 AM
THAT EXACT thing happened to ME!!!

I got my bumper replaced at a honda body shop

because i hit a tire tread in the middle of the highway

and it cracked my bumper and my radiator.

and they drilled holes on the FRONT of the bumper

instead of under!!!

:( :( :(

I talked to them about it after noticing it. and they said they couldn`t and wouldn`t do anything about it. :mad:

tuckerc
10-27-2002, 06:29 AM
I live in Vancouver BC and front plates are needed, so when I purchased my car it already had the license plate bracket installed (and thus holes drilled in the bumper). Some dealers don`t drill them until they do the predelivery inspection so if you catch them when the bumper is intact, you might get lucky, but otherwise they can`t do anything for you if it was drilled. They`ll just say "they were drilled at the port".

A friend of mine has a 2001 Acura CL Type-S and indeed her license plate bracket is drilled under the vertical part of the bumper so removing the plate/bracket won`t leave visible holes.

Luckily the holes were only drilled into the rub strip portion of my bumper so I was able to buy a new rub strip for $50 and have it painted and installed it myself.

PeterY
10-27-2002, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. Well actually i`m in NY so YES i do need to have a front plate but that besides the point. What if a few years down the road i sell my car and the guy lives in a state that doesn`t need front plates, he`ll won`t like it. ALso it`s the principal that i`m mad about. Like Deception said, they could have made hold under the bumper, so i`m gonna demanad hell and Replace it cause people with Acura Cl`s have done the same with luck. I`m just mad that they had to mess with the bumper without asking me first, it`s not like my car is one of those is license plate area premade in the front bumper like buick etc.

Thanks

ANyidea what i can say to the service manager?