PDA

View Full Version : Grilling out> Charcoal or gas?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Redcar GUY
10-24-2002, 11:56 AM
ok what do you all like? I was grilling out for prob the last time of the summer today and I was thinking..... I know we have a few "cooks" on this forum and thought i would ask....

TortoiseAWD
10-24-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by ejant

I voted other.

Gas for convenience.

Charcoal for taste. Ditto. I prefer cooking over coals, but the apartment complex mandated everyone switch to gas after a fire a few years back (which, oddly enough, was caused by a gas grill, not charcoal . . . I didn`t say it made sense). I purchased a gas grill, but I just don`t really grill out much any more. These days, I typically pan-sear steaks or chops and finish them in a hot oven (Maillard reaction == good, for you Alton Brown/Good Eats fans).

Someday, when I buy a house, I will have a decent charcoal grill and a good smoker . . . not some little R2-D2 looking contraption; I want a serious pit. <grunt>Man cook meat over fire!</grunt>

Dreaming of brisket and ribs,

Tort

Redcar GUY
10-24-2002, 01:04 PM
looks like most feel the way I do, Gas is ok but I want the best taste for my meat. I buy our beef/pork from a local farm, much better cuts for about the same price as the "stuff" you buy at the local store. The way I look at it, if your going to spend $20-30 bux on a few steaks, I will give them the best I can and stick with the great taste of the Charcoal:xyxthumbs

HellrotCi
10-24-2002, 01:24 PM
Is there any other way to grill besides using charcoal or wood? I used to use a gas grill, but I found myself letting it pre-heat(not that I needed to) for about as long as it takes charcoal to be ready to use. Back when I used gas, gettng refills was a PITA. This was before the Blue Rino refills were put everywhere.

Mmmph
10-24-2002, 01:44 PM
Charcoal is the only way to go. True charcoal lovers

use a chimney charcoal starter, though. Arguably,

one of the greatest "guy" gifts in the world.

Get them at almost any WalMart, Target, etc....

Here`s a pic.

http://www.welltemperedkitchen.com/charchimstar.html

Viking
10-24-2002, 01:48 PM
Have any of you used the "egg" to grill? I have a friend that has this green, egg shaped grill that produces the best BBQ I have ever had.

shaf
10-24-2002, 02:19 PM
I was forced to vote "Gas" :(

Even though I love the taste of real briquette or mesquite (:bow ) barbeque, the preparation and cleanup often are hard enough to make it a non-starter.

I`m getting hungry...

Taxlady
10-24-2002, 02:56 PM
What would be the point of using gas? Then it`s easier to cook inside. We have a hibachi and always get charcoal (the lumps that look like burnt wood), not briquets. Probably getting a charcoal burning bbq next summer.

I think the gas bbq was invented to get men to cook. <grunt>Man cook meat over fire!</grunt&gt sort of applies to a gas bbq. "Honey, would you bbq these steaks?" (I don`t feel like cooking tonight). And, he isn`t messing up the kitchen! :D

medic
10-24-2002, 02:59 PM
I prefer gas for the same reasons as 4DSC. It`s just a pain to clean the charcol grill afterwards.

I use charcol right now just becasue it`s cheaper then buying a gas grill, but I`ll switch to gas eventually. I also like how you can control the heat better. I don`t pay attention when I`m grilling since I`m outdoors and the weather is nice - if I could turn down the heat some it would help.

thevolvoguy
10-24-2002, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by ejant

I voted other.

Gas for convenience.

Charcoal for taste.

Agreed. I have both, use both and enjoy both. I recently bought a stainless steel 36 x 24 inch V.I.I. that is hooked up to the gas line from my house. It`s very convinient, cooks well and looks great. I also have an oooooold charcoal smoker, that I just speant the weekend repainting.

Like I said, I like both of them, for different reasons. :xyxthumbs

Pats300zx
10-24-2002, 06:01 PM
I agree gas is fast and easy. However, things always seem to taste better over charcoal. My lastest purchase has been one of those turkey deep fryers. You have to try them.

We cooked a 19 lb turkey in like 57 mins (3 min per lb). Plus you get to marinade the turkey in whatever you like..

Hmm Hmm good...:xyxthumbs

Detailing NY
10-24-2002, 07:28 PM
I have the gas line outside, so i never run out of gas. But charcoal does taste better

imported_BretFraz
10-24-2002, 08:22 PM
I was tempted to buy a gas grill when I moved into my new house but the good grill are $400 and up and I just didn`t want to make that kind of investment.

So I bought a charcoal grill by Char Broil from KMart for $75. It was a major PITA to assemble but now that I`ve got it I love it. I like being able to use charcoal or wood or a combination. I also like the wood chips and pellets you can use on top of the charcoal to add whatever flavor you want (I like the Jack Daniel`s smoked wood chips and the Char Broil flavored pellets).

As much as I want a $600 Weber Genesis grill or one of those Jenn Air grills, I`ll stick with my cheapo charcoal grill for now.

shaf
10-24-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Taxlady

I think the gas bbq was invented to get men to cook. <grunt>Man cook meat over fire!</grunt&gt LOL, no spying on my house! :D

jmdlat
10-24-2002, 10:15 PM
I agree. Charcoal tastes better, but gas is easier. Right now, I have a gas grille outside. Works fine for basic grilling.