PDA

View Full Version : Allow me to introduce myself....

TristanCSI
10-24-2002, 07:31 AM
Hey all.... I`m new to the board, and eager to learn as much as I can. I`ve got quite an uphill battle ahead of me with the car I use now, so I figure I should get started.

I live in Northern California (Sacramento area) and love cars. Specifically, Import cars that are done nicely (no rice please, thank you).

I`m hoping I can learn from you all, and maybe when the time comes I can show some pics showing my progress from thumb-fingered newb to auto detailing pro! :D

I`m driving a 93 Camry, Dark Green, with lots of Freeway miles. It is filthy, and has deep water spots that I can`t seem to get out with a simple wash/wax. Any suggestions?

I`m also hoping to restore the rims of the car, which seem to be coated with a dark discoloration, presumably from salt/sand mixture from it`s time in Montana during the winters.

Thanks for any advice, and I`m looking forward to learning at your collective feet!

ultrajim49
10-24-2002, 07:43 AM
Hi,Tristan,

let me be the first to welcome you at Autopia:wavey

There is a wealth of information here, so spend some time in reading and searching.You can allso test-ride David`s Detailing book (first 8 chapters are free) and when you like what you read (and you will:xyxthumbs ) you can buy the rest.

To get rid of water spots:

claying is a possibility

dilluted vinagar is another one

rims : there are acid-free cleaners for that gunk(don`t know a brand , you`ll need to use the perfectly working search-function)

Happy detailing

Christiaan

Tiger88
10-24-2002, 12:05 PM
Welcome aboard Tristan.

It sounds like you`ve already waxed over your water spots. Now they`re "protected" by a coat of wax. Try using Dawn dish soap (blue) to remove the wax. Then, as BlackRegal said, try the white vinegar and water mix.

If they still won`t come out the minerals may have actually etched the paint. The next step would be a polish, always use the least abrasive that will do the job.

Redcar GUY
10-24-2002, 12:29 PM
Welcome to the forum, Search and be happy:xyxthumbs

AMP01
10-24-2002, 01:23 PM
Welcome to Autopia! This is the place to be for learning about detailing and detailing products. Good luck with getting your car into shape.

Cheers,

My 740iL Site (http://www.cardomain.com/id/amp99)

shaf
10-24-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Redcar GUY

Welcome to the forum, Search and be happy:xyxthumbs What he said! :D :wavey

imported_Intermezzo
10-24-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by TristanCSI

I`m driving a 93 Camry, Dark Green, with lots of Freeway miles. It is filthy, and has deep water spots that I can`t seem to get out with a simple wash/wax. Any suggestions?

A lot of that will depend on how deeply they are etched into your clearcoat. I`ve had water-spots that were left on my hood for a week that wouldn`t come out even with several applications of 3M`s fine cut rubbing compound. They got there after the car was driven in a rain storm and then left to bake in the garage from the heat of the engine. Since I don`t own a rotary, I had to resort to wet-sanding them off followed by a finesse-job to remove the resulting haze.

I would try some of the less aggressive suggestions posted earlier and then successively move up to stronger compounds if the etch-marks don`t go away. Hopefully you won`t have to resort to the same stuff I had to.

After this experience I will never just leave a car in the garage after being driven in the rain without at least QDing the hood and front fenders. Sometimes I think it`s better to leave your car out in the rain after it`s driven to prevent the few existing water spots on your "warming" hood to settle and get embedded.