PDA

View Full Version : S-100 vs 3M vs clay

charlieo
10-22-2002, 10:17 PM
I now use 3M Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover for my car. I was wondering how this compares to the S-100 Shine Enhancing Paint Cleanser as a prep for S-100 wax. I`m guessing that using a clay bar (would I follow clay with wax or with one of the above, then wax?) would give the best results, but I`m not sure I`m ready for using clay. Any recommendations for clay? Thanks.

(2000 Civic SI: Black)

johnson
10-22-2002, 10:30 PM
The Shine Enhancing Paint Cleaner is more of a polish than a cleaner. If youre trying to compare SMR to SMR, it would be the 3M SMR vs #9 2.0 vs Swirl Free Polish. It would be wash, clay, wash, SMR, polish, wax. Clay is so simple to use, a child could use it. Theres nothing to it besides wiping it with the car in back and forth motions. Is the surface of the car feel smooth or gritty? I would put on a coat of #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax and then S100 as a topper for added protection. HTH.

shaf
10-22-2002, 10:32 PM
And by "polish" I think he means "glaze". ;)

charlieo
10-22-2002, 10:56 PM
I guess one needs to distinguish between the glazing (polish) and the cleaning properties of a product. It would seem that, if I clay, then the SEPCleanser would be more appropriate, since it`s mainly a polish, as you indicated, and I wouldn`t be needing the cleaning effect of the SMR. If I don`t clay, then I`ll need the cleaning effect of the SMR, thus making it the preferred product. Thanks for the help.

johnson
10-22-2002, 11:00 PM
Clay wont remove swirls, it just makes the paint smoother than it is.

porterdog
10-23-2002, 06:37 AM
:) It`s great stuff, you`ll be amazed just like everyone else. Key thing is to keep it wet and pay attention to how it feels- it`s easy to tell the difference between working over some bit of mung adhered to your paint vs. some similar bit of mung embedded in the clay and dragging _if you pay attention_.

Luck,

Robert