PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar`s Abrasive Scale

CharlesW
10-22-2002, 02:21 PM
Having read several posts about abrasiveness of products, I thought I would post what I have been able to piece together about Meguiar`s Pro line.

The ratings are on a scale of 10, higher number, more abrasive.

Product names and rating numbers are from containers.

#1 Medium-Cut Cleaner...................................7

#2 Fine-Cut Cleaner.........................................5

#3 Machine Glaze............................................. 1

#4 Heavy-Cut Cleaner......................................8

#5 New Car Glaze

#6 Cleaner/Wax

#7 Show Car Glaze

#9 Swirl Remover 2.0.......................................3

#16 Paste Wax

#20 Polymer Sealant

#26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax

#28 All-Metal Polish

#52 Express Wax

#53 Cleaner Wax

#66 Quick Detailer.......................................... ..4 Cleaner/Wax

#80 Speed Glaze............................................. .4

#81 Hand Polish

#82 Swirl Free Polish........................................3

#83 Dual Action Cleaner/Polish.........................6

#84 Compound Power Cleaner.........................9

#85 Diamond Cut Compound 2.0....................10

Several products did not have an abrasive rating on the container. I can only guess that either they do their cleaning with solvents or Meguiar`s "Micro-Abrasives"

Note that #66 is NOT a quick detailing product, but a pretty agressive cleaner/wax

Clear as mud, right?

Charles:wavey

imported_BretFraz
10-22-2002, 10:15 PM
Carguy posted something similar a few months ago from info he received from his Meguiar`s contacts. Ya might want to do a search for it and sync it up with your list.

If #66 is a "4" on the scale then #6 needs to be a "2". The primary diff between #6 and #66 is their cleaning ability with #66 being more aggressive.

johnson
10-22-2002, 10:21 PM
I found it bret.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6754&highlight=meguiars+unofficial

Greg

This is a unauthorized Meguiar`s ranking of aggressiveness

1.Diamond Cut Compound 2.0 -M85 - Most Aggressive

2.Compound Power Cleaner-M84

3.Heavy Duty Oxidation Remover (Marine)

4.Heavy Cut Cleaner #4

5.Medium Cut Cleaner #1

6.Color Restorer #44 (Marine)

7.Dual Action Cleaner Polish -M83 ****

8. Fine Cut Cleaner- #2

9. Medallion Paint Cleaner - #97

10. Scratch X - #108 ****

11. Body Scrub- A10

12. Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner- A30

13.Swirl Free Polish #82

14. Swirl Remover #9 **

Understand that any cleaner/polish will have some filling properties due to

polish. The *** products might have some filling characteristics. All

other products are pure cleaners and should do very little if any filling.

Any Meguiar`s product with a cleaner may contain diminishing abrasives.

Understand that there are chemical cleaners as well as Diminishing

abrasives. Products can rely solely on one or combine the two to undertake

the task of cleaning.

Hope this helps

CharlesW
10-22-2002, 11:02 PM
The 0 to 10 scale is Meguiar`s, not mine. Those ratings came directly from the containers the product came in. If no rating is shown as is the case with #6, it only means Meguiar`s did not put a rating on the container. I have no idea why some of the products that are pretty much thought to have abrasives in them do not have a rating number on them. As mentioned in my original post, possibly the so called micro-abrasives are what they use and Meguiar`s chose not to take that abrasiveness into account when doing their rating system. Right or wrong, it is the way Meguiar`s ranks them.

Note: I just added that the rating numbers, as well as the names, were taken from the Meguiar`s containers, to the original post.

Charles

imported_Aurora40
10-23-2002, 07:45 AM
I`m quite surprised MPPC is above Scratch-X (I realize those ratings are unofficial opinions). MPPC is very much a chemical cleaner. It doesn`t feel like it has any abrasive, and it hardly does anything to swirls (except the most incredibly fine ones). I`ve called about it and apparently it has what Meguiar`s calls "micro-abrasives" which means they are un-abrasive enough to be considered non-abrasive (even water is abrasive to a point, so there has to be a line drawn somewhere). It is an excellent cleaner, but it sure seems to be a mild product. I`d much sooner use it once or twice a year than I would Scratch-X.

shaf
10-23-2002, 02:00 PM
One failing of this abrasiveness ranking is that it doesn`t give any clue to how much more abrasive one product is over the other. Sure, MPPC may be more abrasive than Scratch-X, but maybe it`s only by just a thin hair that no one could tell.

I also just realized that some of them might be actually equal in abrasiveness, and possibly are just arbitrarily put one above the other....

CharlesW
10-23-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by 4DSC

One failing of this abrasiveness ranking is that it doesn`t give any clue to how much more abrasive one product is over the other. Sure, MPPC may be more abrasive than Scratch-X, but maybe it`s only by just a thin hair that no one could tell.

I also just realized that some of them might be actually equal in abrasiveness, and possibly are just arbitrarily put one above the other....

Please understand that the abrasiveness list I posted had nothing whatsoever to do with the ranking post by carguy. The listing with the abrasiveness number following the product does give you a way to compare most of Meguiar`s professional line of products. I did not do any research on any of their consumer line since it doesn`t seem to be particularly popular on this site. The Medallion line is included in their professional catalog, but here again, since it has not been a big topic of discussion nor is it recommended very often, I didn`t include it. The Medallion did not have an abrasiveness rating number in the Pofessional Product Guide.

Charles