PDA

View Full Version : Silicone in QD a problem?

CamaroLady
10-21-2002, 08:03 AM
I`ve been reading some posts here (like a good newbie) and noticed some aversion to using quick detailers with silicone. One comment made reference to silicone "build up" that can`t be removed. Is this true? Any other problems with silicone?

Wes

CamaroLady
10-21-2002, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the detailed info. Very illuminating.

I was thinking of getting the Eagle One "wipe n shine" product or Meguiar`s "final inspection"--the only ones I noticed in an auto store recently. Any idea if these have silicone?

Wes

imported_memnuts
10-21-2002, 10:55 AM
All silicone residue can be removed prior to painting at any good paint shop which performs a good prep. Your Maaco-type places will probably charge extra for this prepsol step. :wavey

CharlesW
10-21-2002, 11:11 AM
Per Meguiar`s Professional Surface Care Product Guide, #34, Final Inspection is "Paintable! Safe for use in the paint shop."

Per their Brilliant Solutions consumer catlog, #34, Final Inspection is silicone free and won`t interfere with painting.

Charles

Poorboy
10-21-2002, 12:20 PM
yes silicone will build up but over time...I do not like using silicone products because usually(not all the time) they do not spread evenly, and do cause more work for the body shop should you need to paint. Also read labels for "do nots" final inspection says right at the begging of their instructions to use it on a cool ,clean surface. If it`s already clean what would be the purpose of using the product. I only make and have used products that can be used on dirty vehicles,

NOT CAKED OR MUDDY must rinse those off, and can be used in the sun. That is where most vehicles are(outside), especially at car shows.

CharlesW
10-21-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Poorboy

final inspection says right at the begging of their instructions to use it on a cool ,clean surface.

Not exactly.

From my jug of Meguiar`s #34 Final Inspection:

DIRECTIONS: SHAKE WELL. Apply in the SHADE on a COOL SURFACE. (Not for heavily soiled finishes.)

The caps are Meguiar`s.

From the section that tells you how great it is:

*High lubricity formula removes dust, fingerprints, contaminants and fine scratches

*Quickly removes fresh contaminants such as bugs, bird droppings, tree sap mist and water spots

*Perfect for removing residue after buffing

There is more information, but it isn`t really relevant to this discussion. Sounds about like what I would expect a quick detailer to do.

Charles

shaf
10-21-2002, 01:51 PM
After a lot of reading, I think almost any non-carnauba QD would be okay to use for sealants and stuff, and (probably) any QD is okay for painting, since they use solvents to clean it off anyway.

I think ALL QDs have to have silicone in them, but the part that worries people is the word "silicone" even though (like when discussing dressings) there are many kinds of silicones and only some of them are bad. I believe it has been discussed some QDs people have been using with Z and K definitely contain "silicones" yet they have been used with success. Personally, I don`t even worry about this issue anymore. :)

Poorboy
10-21-2002, 02:05 PM
funny, my chemist and I had the same conversation about silicones....he said that the newer water based silicones like the ones used in tire and interior dressings are not harmful and easy to use...I am still a little skeptical about it on paint but as far as dressing go they are fine.

Andre'
10-21-2002, 05:12 PM
Polydimethylsiloxane silicone or PDMS silicones are water based.Products that contain PDMS silicones (303, Vinylex) are best suited for rubber and plastic components.

Dimethalsihicome or DMS silicones are pretolium based. DMS silicones can cause damage to plastic and rubber components, over time.