PDA

View Full Version : Blackfire, Platinum Longevity

CharlesW
10-20-2002, 11:56 PM
With all the debate about longevity of these products there may be a way to have the best of both worlds. At this time, on one of my vehicles, I am using a base of Klasse AIO and applying Platinum over it. I have the ease of application and the canauba depthof the Platinum, plus the durability of the AIO in case the Platinum does come up a little short. I try to apply some thing every couple of months, but this way, if for some reason I can`t do that, I should still be protected.

Charles

rstype
10-21-2002, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by CharlesW

I have the ease of application and the canauba depth of the Platinum, plus the durability of the AIO in case the Platinum does come up a little short.

Just wondering... doesn`t it make more sense to just use a carnauba (on top of AIO) then, if you want the "real" carnauba depth? I originally thought the advantage of Blackfire and Platinum was polymer protection and carnauba shine all in one step.

Anyhow, great idea. Prehaps the Blackfire or Platinum will provide some extra durability...

CharlesW
10-21-2002, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by BW

Just wondering... doesn`t it make more sense to just use a carnauba (on top of AIO) then, if you want the "real" carnauba depth? I originally thought the advantage of Blackfire and Platinum was polymer protection and carnauba shine all in one step.

Anyhow, great idea. Prehaps the Blackfire or Platinum will provide some extra durability...

S100 over the AIO would no doubt give a great finish. As far as I am concerned personally, the Platinum alone probably has sufficient durability for my use. Two of my vehicles do have Platinum only and seem to be doing great with it. My van is kinda my guinea pig and has the AIO with Platinum over it. It has had S100 as a topper on that combination at one time. It all looks good to me. The fact that I don`t let them get in bad shape to start with makes it pretty easy to get good results with most anything.

Edit: My original reason for using a polymer was increased UV protection. The carnauba depth was an unexpected bonus.

Charles

Jngrbrdman
10-21-2002, 02:15 AM
I`ve been using Platinum over AIO for a few months now. I`ve never had a problem with it and I think it looks great. I`ve topped UPP with Souveran on a couple cars and it looked even better. I`ve got it layered with SG on my car right now and it definatly looks good. I love those polymers. I can`t wait to get my hands on the new BF so I can check it side by side with the new Platinum.

The only time I would put a carnuba over it would be if I was going for that little extra depth. I should do half a car with AIO topped with P21S and the other half with AIO topped with Platinum so we can see the difference. That would be interesting... Too bad I only have one guinea pig car. I`ll have to find a brave donor who will let me detail their car for free so they can be my guinea pig for a few months. Man... where am I ever going to find someone like that..? lol