PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Aniversary Edition Corvette

50th yr
10-20-2002, 08:48 PM
Have any of you delt with this finish yet? It has been 2 months since I received mine and this is the touchest finish I have ever incountered. This has to be the softest clear coat ever used by GM. The paint has a gold flake and is incredible in the sun. I have talked to people that has been in the rain and if it drys it is a night mare to get the waterspots off and when they do it leaves millions of spyder lines in the finish and are unable to get lines out using meguiars scratch X. Any advice I can pass along? I have not washed mine yet. After waxing I have only dusted with 100 percent cotton but even this leaves small spyders. This car will be a challenge.

Ron

Redcar GUY
10-20-2002, 09:01 PM
Welcome to the forum, you must have came over from Corvetteforum.com, I am a member there but I lost my pass word so I dont post much:( anyhoo Looks like you have just got a nice vette, I dont know how to answer your question but I am sure that someone will help, Pull up a chair, do a seach or two, Get Davids book if ya want... This is a great place, you`ll be hooked in no time ;)

50th yr
10-20-2002, 09:12 PM
Thanks.

From what I have read so far it seems like a lot of knowlegabe people here. I came over from the 50th anniversary corvette registry.

Ron

C. Charles Hahn
10-20-2002, 10:16 PM
all I can tell you is that yes, the clearcoat is very thin on that paint, I heard this from a detailer at the chevy dealer I do business with.... he said that they were given special instructions to do all pre-delivery stuff by hand instead of with the rotarys they usually use. (this dealership only or not I dont know, and I dont know who the instruction came from)

Scratch-X might not be quite strong enough of a polish as it has more of a "filler" property to it.... I would try something like PPCL (Pinnacle Paint Cleansing Lotion) or the meguiars equivalent "Deep Crystal System" Step 1 cleaner. After this my advice is to start using the Zaino system, and try to stick with Z5 only..... since this generally fills these spider-web scratches you`re describing, it may help you out at keeping them under control.

Another option you might consider is taking the vehicle to a paint shop and see if they can thicken the clear (honestly dont know if this is possible). to make it a bit easier to deal with. Also since the metallics/etc. in this paint are different than GM has ever dealt with, perhaps they are having issues with paint not fully curing from the factory ovens like most other paints?? :nixweiss

anyways welcome to the forum, love your ride, hope to see pics sometime!

BTW do you happen to have the 50th C5 registry URL you could post? just curious to check it out. :wavey Welcome to Autopia!

50th yr
10-20-2002, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the info. I will try them all. I hear alot about the 3m smr. I wonder if this is any better than the x product. The url for the 50th corvette anniversary registry is

www.50thregistry.com