PDA

View Full Version : AIO and Sg on a green car.

drdetail
10-20-2002, 06:36 PM
My car is 5 years old, and has moderate swirl marks, i use ihg on them, then sg and then blitz. Im thinking about trying just the AIO and then multiple coats of sealent glaze. What im concerned with are the swirl marks, how muhc does the aio and sg fill them in.

imported_BretFraz
10-20-2002, 10:02 PM
AIO has a mild cleaner in it so it will remove or fill some minor swirls. SG is a sealant only and will not fill in anything.

If you want to remove swirls you need a swirl mark remover or something a little more powerful if the swirls are more like scratches. Many of us use 3M Finesse-It II polish (FI2) to attack swirls and scratches then decide if we need a SMR. I`d guess that you could go to AIO after FI2 and everything would be fine.

Skip the IHG; it ain`t helping to remove the swirls. And the AIO will just remove whatever the IHG filled so it`s a waste of time for you.

drdetail
10-20-2002, 10:03 PM
when i use ihg and dont use the aio, so it does fill in the swirls, i was just curious if i could skip some steps and maike it easier on myself.

shaf
10-21-2002, 02:23 AM
Actually, I think it`s the SG that does all the swirl filling, not AIO which can`t layer. That`s where the recommendations for multiple SG coats came from. I honestly can`t remember how the finish looked after AIO alone, but I know after a few SG coats, light/fine swirls were filled (though I only found this out later). Any deeper swirls were still left though.

I know we`ve talked about this before Simon, but I still stand by the suggestion that Klasse SG not be applied over a glaze. The usual reasons you get for this is bonding, but besides that, I`m (now) wondering what happens when you put durable SG over the short-lived IHG.... For this reason alone I`d like to keep my system "pure" and just polish out swirls, then layer on the SG to get what the polishing missed.

For "moderate" swirls you can always try Meguiar`s DACP, which a few people have successfully used by hand. I`ve heard FI II needs lots of working in, so I`d leave that for machine use.