PDA

View Full Version : scraped front spoiler last night..need touch up help

lpandroc
10-19-2002, 10:07 AM
Good morning everyone....Last night I was pulling out of a friends driveway and I scraped the bottom of my spoiler on the concrete. Fortunately, you really can see the scraping area due to it being on the bottom area of the spoiler torwards the ground. I really want to touch it up of course. I was figuring the best way is to get like a 1500 grit an level off some of the rough areas...then proceed to use factory touch up and go over the areas where there is the exposed plastic. After a few hours of drying...put a few layers of clearcoat touch up paint (came with the touchup set of my car)...then buff out and AIO/SG?...Does this sound like a plan or does anyone have another idea on how i can make it look or appear better?..I know you really wont be able to see it unless you paying attention to the spoiler...but it still bothers me and thats all that matters ..maybe Im being to uptight..but Im sure this has happened to some of you so I need you expertise ....Thanks everyone...Lance

PS: Unfortunartey the car is silver...and we all know how tricky silver touchup can be.

jkochis
10-19-2002, 10:57 AM
Yeah, those S70 spoilers hang low. To be honest, I just sand mine and let it be, figuring it`s going to happen again - which it does since I`m not the only driver. You can get matching paint in either a small bottle (kit comes with solid & clear), or a spray can from the dealer - the match is very good.

clint
10-19-2002, 01:47 PM
my audis spoilers are all scraped to hell underneath too.. I just sand it some and deal with it- and touch it up while doing other touch ups..

It`s not like the spoiler is going to rust or anything..

It helps if you can get the spray kind of touch up for the bottom of the spoiler- so you just sand the whole bottom edge, mask then paint..silver is a pain using a brush.

You can use garden-variety clear, like Dupli-color, or plastikote over the silver- instead of the expensive volvo stuff.

you may need to use harsher sandpaper like 400 or 600 to smooth the damage- for the spot you are talking about, 600 grit is plenty fine to prepare for the touch-up spray..

I wouldnt get to perfection minded about it- it`s gonna happen again..

That`s why it`s plastic I guess..

jkochis
10-19-2002, 04:47 PM
I could probably make decent money selling disposable (ie cheap) metal covers for the underside of those spoilers. Put them on when the wife is driving...remove for showing off the car. Let the covers take the abuse. Probably too expensive to custom make those kinds of things though...oh well.