PDA

View Full Version : Craftman vs Porter Cable air tools......

silk27106
10-18-2002, 10:57 PM
I just got my air compressor from Sears and want top of the line air tools.

What brand air tools do you guys use?

clint
10-18-2002, 11:12 PM
I like really cheap air tools- like from Harbor Freight..

they have brick-and-mortar stores as well as mail-order..stores (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/retail_stores.taf)

I like to tempt fate with how cheap they are-

but how? (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?CategoryID=321&pricetype=)

Never had anything break... worth a look- amazingly they run sales on top of the insane low prices. Things must really be grim in china..

Air tools are simple things with few moving parts- last fine as long as you remember to add oil every time you use them..

johnson
10-18-2002, 11:34 PM
I use Ingersoll-Rand. Id say theyre one of the best. Sears sells it but you can find it cheaper online. For the 1/2 impact, im using the 2131A.

silk27106
10-20-2002, 05:05 PM
Thanks guys but with the incompetant US mail service I want to buy locally which means Lowes, Home Depot and Sears. From these store where would you buy?

Thanks again for helping with my decision.

Steve @ Guru
10-20-2002, 05:47 PM
IMHO, the very best air tools are as follows:

1/2" Impact Wrench (pistol style) = MAC Tools

3/8" Impact Wrench (pistol style) = Snap-On

1/4" Impact Wrench (pistol style) = Snap-On

3/8" Impact Wrench = Snap-On

1/4" Impact Wrench = MAC Tools

Die Grinder/Cut-off tool = Snap-On

1/4" Angle drill = MAC Tools

3/8" Angle drill = MAC Tools

As an ex-mechanic (of 7+ years at the dealership, 2-3 at the local garage), there`s no comparison between these and the over-the-counter air tools. I know that MAC uses IR/CP for some of its tools, but they seem to do a better job with housings, etc.

Expensive, but it`s nice to only have to buy one and have it work well the first time and everytime.

Oh, and the key to long life is maintenance - buy some quality air tool oil & if your tools are greasable, buy some quality air tool grease. I prefer Snap-On`s air tool oil and MAC`s grease.

johnson
10-20-2002, 09:35 PM
IR makes Snap On. If you look at both, the casings are exactly the same, but Snap On has better internals. And about lifetime warranty, even Snap On doesnt warranty the air tools after one year. Its just a matter if its been taken care of or not.

getfit74
11-19-2002, 01:47 PM
Fellas,

Hate to "Ad drop" but here it goes. Check out the abay section. I just put two Snap On air tools up for sale. A 1/4 air rachet and a 3/8 impact gun. Both are like brand new, and downright cheap.

Poorboy
11-19-2002, 02:22 PM
Ray,

let`s make it simple...if you are using these tools only for your personal use...buy Craftsman...usually there`s a sale and always guaranteed...:xyxthumbs

BradE
11-19-2002, 02:46 PM
Craftsman has gone down hill over the years. Most of their "new" ratchets use plastic parts etc. Buy the best tool you can possibly afford, I agree with Geeky MAC and Snap-On are the best.

johnson
11-19-2002, 03:40 PM
Another thing I noticed. The MAC and Ingersoll-Rand 3/8" impact guns are the same. Both are 2112.

silk27106
11-19-2002, 05:25 PM
I can see all the "in the know" guys responded! You guys know your stuff and Poorboy, your recommendations are appreciated!

I`m set up now......here`s the deal......

I purchased the 2-stage Craftsman air compressor at Sears. It`s the "profesional grade", 25 gallon with very good HP and QUIET!

My air tools I bought at Lowes and they are all Porter Cable brand. Lowes matched Sears price and deducted another 10%!!!

The sears air tools did not impress me nor did the 19 year old boys who answered my questions with a "I`m not sure". Sears employees are quite sad in my opinion...... In the tool section they hire people who don`t know S--t about tools!

BTW, the 2 stage air copmpressor at Sears is the quietest I`ve found and I looked everywhere!