PDA

View Full Version : Clear coat blotches/dull spots

Glossy McGlosserton
10-18-2002, 03:01 PM
I bought my dark green `98 Accord a year and a half ago. Used Meguire`s 7 and 26 on it until switching to Zaino system last spring.

Noticed this spring two 1 inch long by 1/2 inch wide dull spots just above and to the left of the fuel filler door. I cleaned and clayed this area, at first thinking it was just some dirt or something. The area has 5 coats of Z5 on it, and those dull blotches are still there.

Anyone have ideas? I might be able to get a digital photo of it, but doubt it will be too enlightening: just looks like two vertical dull areas. Could the clear coat have failed there? Any repair ideas?

This really bugs me. TIA for any help.

BradE
10-18-2002, 03:04 PM
Before assuming the worst (clearcoat failure) I would get a bottle of polish, something like 3M SMR or FI2, and try polishing it first. That might solve the problem.

If it`s clearcoat failure, or something has gotten into the film build than that`s a whole different story. :(

Glossy McGlosserton
10-28-2002, 04:29 PM
Thanks, Mr. Lincoln.

I`m getting the car buffed tomorrow to remove some overspray from the roof getting painted -- due to clear coat failure (which Honda paid half to repair). I`ll ask the body shop to check this out.

Thanks again.