PDA

View Full Version : What product to get rid or spiderweb scratches?

bnizzle1202
10-18-2002, 10:50 AM
What product would safely remove spiderwebs from my car? They are the type that come from those big brushes at the self-wash car washes...

I was thinking SMR might do it, but might I need something stronger like Fine cut, or FI2?

I`d be using an orbital buffer.

shaf
10-18-2002, 02:04 PM
Hi Klasseman, welcome :wavey

"Spiderwebs" are generally considered to be the little cracks and lines (can`t exactly remember right now) in the paint that you cannot polish out because they are a physical problem with the paint. Apparently, some is almost considered "normal"....

What polish to use on your swirls/scratches is a judgement call that you`ll have to make depending on how deep or noticable they are. Try SMR first and see what you can do with that, then move up to Fine Cut only if you have to. BTW, what "orbital buffer" are you using?

bnizzle1202
10-18-2002, 10:22 PM
maybe spiderwebs are the wrong term, they are light scratches I guess, but not really swirl marks. I looks like someone used one of those big brushes. I can`t feel any marks, but can see them in the sunlight

bnizzle1202
10-18-2002, 10:22 PM
don`t laugh, but the orbital buffer is a turtle wax buffer.

clint
10-18-2002, 10:53 PM
I think I`ve heard people call the marks you are talking about spider webs- but usually here people call those swirl marks i guess... looks like a spider web around the reflection of the sun or light bulb.

In my experience with smr- if you can see the mark at arms length, then it`s too much for smr! But it`s worth a shot- you may need to put it on by hand, then use the electric buff to buff it out.. If that doesent work, then fine cut rubbing compound, followed by the smr.

Those one-speed buffers may not work- I don`t know.. I`ve got one- maybe if it had a wool bonnet on it..

Fat lot of good I am! Oh well- bumped the thread if nothing else..

imported_Tony
10-19-2002, 01:23 AM
Clint:

In my experience with smr- if you can see the mark at arms length, then it`s too much for smr.

thanks: I dont believe I have heard of that standard, but I will check it out.

You did more good than you thought!

imported_Intel486
10-19-2002, 10:30 AM
Autopia does have a different meanings for Terms. I have to change my vocabulary depending on who I`m talking too :p

Here are def. I use.

Spiderwebs in detailing usually refer to the mess of fine scratches all over your paint. Not in a particular pattern. Like marks from dragging a towel this way, washing this way, dirt sliding across the paint this way, etc. They are the marks you see when you get the sun`s reflection on the paint and you see them everywhere. Think on autopia people call these "swirl marks" and "microscratching."

Swirl Marks are caused by rotary buffers running over the paint and leaving the swirl marks in the paint. (I have a picture of this I`ll post in a little while) They are called this because the buffer leaves a "swirled" pattern in the paint.

To get rid of swirl marks you need to just go over it with a finer polish and a finishing pad. W/ a rotary I run it around 1700 RPMs and do what I can an H pattern. First up and down with medium pressure, back and forth w/ lighter pressure, and a final up and down with very light pressure.

For the Spiderweb swirls I have found the best thing to remove them is a Yellow Waffle Pad w/ Pro`s Creamy Cutter. Do the same type of pattern as above. Works wonders!

mrdetailer
10-19-2002, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by KlasseMan

I was thinking SMR might do it, but might I need something stronger like Fine cut, or FI2?

I`d be using an orbital buffer.

Try SMR, or Meguiars #9 Swirl Mark Remover first. It`s always best to use the least abrasive possible. But if that doesn`t work try Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner Polish. I used it recently to get rid of oxidation, I was surprized how many of those fine circular swirls were removed.

When I used a Fine Cut Cleaner, it left fine scratches all over the surface,but didn`t take out any water spots that I was trying to move. In all fairness, swirl remover took them all out.

DACP specifically says that it can be used with an orbital or Rotary buffer, but every fine cut cleaner or rubbing compound that I saw recommended rotary buffers for best results.