PDA

View Full Version : Protect All Quick & Easy Wash question

Pages : [1] 2 3

xyzzy
10-18-2002, 08:42 AM
I`m looking for an answer to winter washes when it`s just too darn cold out to be messing with a hose. I`ve done some searches here and read about the Quick & Easy Wash product from Protect All, but need a bit more info.

My biggest question is about application. I have this fear of taking my wet wash mitt to a dry, dirt/salt encrusted side panel. My first instinct here would be to "pre-treat" or wet down the panel by filling a spray bottle with the wash product to let it soak in prior to hitting it with the wash mitt. The directions don`t say that this is necessary, but wet mitt to dry panel just doesn`t sound right to me. I would like to hear from those of you have been using this for some time now who might have some opinions on this since I know that the use of a spray bottle was mentioned, but not necessarily to pre-treat heavy soil. Is winter crud beyond the capabilities of this product?

Thanks,

Chris

imported_Paul Mitchell
10-18-2002, 10:04 AM
Chris,

I have use this product all Summer per recommendation here by ScottWax and CharlesW. I have been happy and I have had no problems at all. No swirls/scratches and it seems gentle to the wax on the car. But.........I have never let the car get too dirty. I use it mainly because I live in a condo and I don`t have a hose plus even if I did, we have had water restrictions here in NY this Summer. For the winter I was planning on using it when I could but first taking it to the coin-op "Baywash" to get rid of the bad dirt, salt. etc. I figured I would use the Mother`s trigger wash that The Veed reviewed excellently and then go home and use Protect All and then QD and hopefully everything will work out. You can also try one of those pressurized garden sprayer bottles at home to blast off the dirt before you use the Protect All. You may have to keep refilling these bottles, I don`t know how much water they hold or how strong the pressure can get.

I have much anxiety about keeping the car clean in the winter so hopefully my plan will work. I would feel uncomfortable using the Protect All on a very dirty car. Even though I use a 4 bucket method to wash with three different mitts, I still would not use the product without a strong stream of water to get rid of heavy dirt/soil first.

HTH! Regards, Eric

imported_89LXi
10-18-2002, 10:27 AM
Chris,

You may want to check out Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe (http://www.poorboysworld.com/waterlesswash.htm). Drop Steve (the owner) an e-mail or give him a call. He`ll be able to answer all your questions. I`ve used it on my vehicles which were layered with road grime and they were as clean as if I washed normally.

Scottwax
10-18-2002, 06:02 PM
I`ve been using Q&E for more than 9 years now, and I have gotten some really nasty, grimey cars very clean with it. No problems with scratching either. If the car is really dirty, just wash the panel twice before wiping dry. Obviously if salt or mud is encrusted along the bottom of the car, it`s best to use a hose to remove the bulk of the gunk, then use Q&E for the rest.

xyzzy
10-18-2002, 07:16 PM
Great. Thanks for the info guys. I actually talked with a rep from the company today. I pitched the "pre-treat" with spray bottle option at him and he said that he did have others doing this for heavy soil and it worked well for them. His only real warning for winter/heavy soil conditions was to make sure that you pass over the surface lightly multiple times instead of bearing down on the surface. Makes sense and that`s what I was planning, but it`s worth repeating. He also offered to send me a 4 oz. sample for free, so now I`ll get to try it before going out to buy it. Overall the guy seemed knowledgeable and was very helpful. He commented that the product was most commonly used for RVs, boats, campers, etc. but acknowledged that it was a great solution for autos and even knew about this site.

Again, thanks for the info!

Chris

shaf
10-18-2002, 07:25 PM
Great info people, thanks! :)

Even though I have car shampoos out the wazoo (volume-wise anyway) I might buy QEW for the winter because I`m not that thrilled about the idea of getting water everywhere and inside everything...

imported_Intel486
10-19-2002, 10:24 AM
I use the Quick & Easy wash and it works great, even in the sun.

I`m not too sure about the Poorboy products... Their Carnauba Polish didn`t do anything even when applying w/ heavy pressure and a "coarse" rag as he likes to call it.

lonestar
10-20-2002, 02:42 PM
I live in the rural midwest. It`s windy and dusty here and I don`t have a garage. I have a hose, but it takes me an hour to wash my car. The car needs washing at least twice a week but I`ve been slacking off. I would be inclined to wash the car more often if it didn`t take so long.

I`ve been thinking of using Q&E for several months now. After reading over and over that I won`t scratch my car with it, I`m actually starting to believe it. :)

How much time does it save?

Scottwax
10-20-2002, 05:47 PM
sync-the first couple of times you use Q&E, it will probably take you as long as a normal wash, but once you get the technique down, probably 30-40 minutes to wash, dry, clean the wheels and wipe down the door jams. Another 10-20 to use a window cleaner, QD and tire protection and you should be done in an hour or a little less.

lonestar
10-20-2002, 06:41 PM
Thanks Scottwax. That sounds good. Do you wash and dry one panel at a time?

xyzzy
10-20-2002, 07:00 PM
Sync,

In your situation where you have a fair amount of dust to worry about, I would probably get a California Car Duster and use that prior to the wash to reduce the risk of scratching even further. Just my personal opinion (and what I`ll be doing).

Chris

lonestar
10-20-2002, 07:22 PM
xyzzy, I`ve thought about getting a CCD, but the reason I want to use Q&E is to save time.

Scottwax
10-20-2002, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by sync

Thanks Scottwax. That sounds good. Do you wash and dry one panel at a time?

It depends on the temperature. When it is very warm, you can really only do one panel since the heat tends to evaporate water pretty quickly. When it cools off, I do two and sometimes three panels-but if the car is very dirty, I stick with one panel at a time.

The key to using Q&E is to use two towels. One to wipe most of the water off, then one for a drying pass. Make sure you leave some moisture for the second towel or you may get the same towel marring you get when you wash a car conventionally and some panels almost completely dry before you can get to them...and you end up wiping a nearly dry panel and it leaves some light marring. If it happens with regular or Q&E washing, usually QDing removes them.

offcenter
11-01-2002, 10:46 AM
Scottwax,

I am going to try Q&E tomorrow. Are you using a cotton wash mitt or a MF towel when applying Q&E to the panels? Is 2 quarts of water in a bucket to 1 capful of Q&E really enough for 1 car?

:confused:

Scottwax
11-01-2002, 11:10 AM
I use a cotton chenille covered foam pad. I normally use a full gallon of water and 2 capfuls for cars. If they are not very dirty though, 2 quarts/1 capful is adequate.