PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!!!

RustythePolisher
10-17-2002, 10:46 PM
My friend and I decided to repaint his Super Black 97 Maxima. We put too much clear coat on, resulting in runs in the clear. We tried sanding with 1500, but had to move to 1200. We then washed it, applied 3M Imperial Microfinishing Compound, and FI-II with a rotary buffer. Next, we applied Meg hand glaze. We were unable to remove all the swirl marks. Did we miss a step or 3? Here is a link to a picture. http://clubs.lycos.com/live/AUTH/Directory/Photo.asp?CG=nguq0em1fr9h31o80188mmh8ec&PID=2759382

Please help?

shaf
10-17-2002, 11:08 PM
It won`t let me see the pic - need to log in.

Anyway, if you are skilled enough with a rotary, you should theoretically be able to remove all swirls with FI II and leave a perfect finish. Otherwise, try SMR for dark cars (can be applied by hand or rotary). Or you could attempt FI II again... But if you still have swirls try the SMR - it`s the "missing step" between a product that leaves haze/swirls and the glaze.

If you can`t get good results with the rotary you could always use a PC (if you have one) or hand apply the product. That would be more forgiving and controllable, though not as fast, than a rotary. I think FI II might be too hard to use properly by hand though.

Hope that helps, and welcome to Autopia! :wavey