PDA

View Full Version : turtle wax`s chipstick (to hide paint chips)??

Surfer8210
10-17-2002, 05:34 AM
hi,

well, due to some paint chips I have on my black car, someone reffered me to Turtle Wax`s Black Wax (w/chipstick) to "hide" the chips. the wax is supposed to mask the chip by darkening it with the wax.

anyways, I ordered a bottle and it just arrived. before I apply it, I wanted to ask if anyone on this board has heard/used it before. any adverse effects, does it really work?

thanks

-Shant

TurboCat
10-17-2002, 06:39 AM
I`ve not heard of this product before, but also have lots of stone chips to touch up on the hood of my black car! Let us know how it works!

DetailInPink
10-17-2002, 08:41 AM
it didn`t work at all.

The stick even creates scratches. :mad:

If you still can return it, save yourself some money.

RobD
10-17-2002, 08:59 AM
Shant, I`ve tried this product in the past and had no success with it. I bought it primarily to help hide a paint chip on black paint. The "wax" did nothing, which I expected, but I thought I could at least utilize the chipstick to fill/hide the chip somewhat, then touch it up occasionally when the filler wears off/comes out. It didn`t work out, at least for me. The chipstick is very hard and getting the product in the chip is hard enough (I ended up shaving off little pieces and pushing it into the chip with my finger), then, removing the excess (with a flat edge) pulled the fill out of the chip (I tried waiting, but it made no difference). I tried to soften the chipstick by warming it, but it did not help. I hope you have better results than I did, but I don`t think this is a good fix for paint chips. Unfortunately, I think this product is all about marketing, however, Turtle Wax has been selling it for a long time, so people must keep buying it. Good Luck.

imported_memnuts
10-17-2002, 09:14 AM
I am also ashamed to admit that I tried this product a few years ago. :doh Long before I knew about Autopia.

Completely useless product. Do not open! Return to sender.:wavey

shaf
10-17-2002, 11:39 AM
I think this product is actually called "Color Cure" or something. Try searching with the words "color cure" or just "turtle wax color" and you should turn stuff up.

No one likes it though! I read one post about someone who poured water over it while some Pepboys guy was demoing it to an unsuspecting customer and it washed off! Funny stuff. :p

The bad news is, someone must be pushing this crap hard, because I`ve seen staff at Canadian Tire doing the same thing now! :eek:

Surfer8210
10-17-2002, 02:35 PM
thanks for everyones reply. yes, it IS called color cure. i will do a search on it now, but reading all the comments above, i think i`m heading in the direction of throwing the unopened bottle in the trash

thanks

gerlewislewis
10-25-2002, 03:38 PM
i recently, (last week) used this on the bonnet of my 205gti (dark grey) but i used black chip stick.

anyhow, it is like a crayon in consistency, and you really have to rub it quite hard ACROSS the scracth for t to work into it. then leave if for a munute and rub off with a lot of elbow grase in a really small circle. then with a clean cloth, buff off the excess so it looks nice n clean.

with a bit of persistance and effort i found that one by one i was able to visibly eliminate the white dots on my bonnet.

afterwards i waxed the car to help seal in the schip stick (dunno if this will work!)

anyway. for me it seems to have been a sucess.

Hope this helps.

(by the way, what are the alternatives, if you think this product is a wate of time?)

Geraint

imported_memnuts
10-26-2002, 07:14 AM
[i]

(by the way, what are the alternatives, if you think this product is a wate of time?)

Geraint [/B]

There are two alternatives.

1/ touch-up paint and careful compounding to level and blend.

2/ multiple spots ( sand balsted) - repaint.

Both of these methods create a permanent repair.

:wavey

thevolvoguy
10-26-2002, 09:24 AM
I tried the product, and though I didnt think much of it... I belive it lived up to what the bottle said. It fills in the rock chips and scratches. It dosent say how well, or that it will last. I did the stone chips on the front of my red Volvo, and they didnt look great, but whats the most you can expect for $5.00??

It simply made them a little less visible to the naked eye. You could easily tell they were there, but they blended in more now. From 5 feet away... you used to be able to see every chip in the front of the hood, now you can see nothing.

That was in February. Today it has worn down a little, but keep in mind Zaino has been on top of them since then.

Do what you will, but its at least worth a shot on a few of those chips. :up

gerlewislewis
10-26-2002, 12:09 PM
i agree with thevolvoguy. it hides all those small white chips nicley. (i think it worked especially well on mine as the car is vdark metallic grey, and it is hard to make out the surface very well)

after all, what can u expect for a fiver :)

Ger