PDA

View Full Version : Cheap foam applicators, where?

imported_Intel486
10-16-2002, 04:10 PM
As I was standing in Pep Boys the other day buying some of their cheap packages of mixed foam applicators and terry applicators I thought there had to be a better place to buy these.

Anyone know a place online that sells foam applicators in large quanitys cheaply? Like packs of 5+.

The terry applicators I only use for dressings so I don`t really go through them so fast so I don`t need to be buying packs of 3 foam and four terry. I also don`t want to be paying $1 per foam applicator.

CharlesW
10-16-2002, 04:24 PM
Wal*Mart has Meguiar`s foam applicators in a 2 pack for around $1.60 - $1.65 per pack. Autozone has the Viking with a built in foam handle for about that much each. The Viking is worth it to me not to be dropping one all the time.

Charles

imported_Intel486
10-16-2002, 05:54 PM
I was just wondering if there was a place I could get like a bag of 50 and then not have to worry about them for awhile.

imported_Intel486
10-16-2002, 06:00 PM
Just found TOL has them for .75 each or 6 for $3.00!!!!

http://www.topoftheline.com/foamwaxap1.html

Has anyone used these applicators and how are they quality wise?

rstype
10-16-2002, 06:04 PM
Big Lots (ex-Pic `N Save) has 4 cheap foam applicators for $.99. I use them for applying dressings to seats, dashboards, engines, tires, etc.

They are smaller and more abrasive than the Meguiar`s ones, though.

brenesx
10-16-2002, 06:04 PM
One of my detailing buddies recommended going to a local upholstery store to get some foam from them. He was using some and I asked about the softness and he just grabbed sheets of the stuff and cuts it up to make applicators.

Apparently, the right stuff will not scratch, wont last that long, but is 20x cheaper to grab…

A lot of places have "scraps" and if you just need some applicators for putting on dressing on vinyl, etc -- you don`t need to worry -- it wont mess you up..

A possible link (I just did a random search):

http://www.foamorder.com/

shaf
10-16-2002, 06:09 PM
Has anyone ever tried using those 12 packs of rectangular el-cheapo household foam sponges (not the cellulose kind) you get at dollar stores for $1? :) They look crappy, but the only question is if they scratch or not...

Right now I get my Meguiar`s yellow applicators at a marine supply store in a 4 pack for $6-something (about $1 US each). They look an awful lot like the TOL ones (which would be a good thing). They have ultra-fine foam cells and seem very very durable so far.

CharlesW
10-16-2002, 06:14 PM
The following was copied from the Meguiar`s web-site

"Made exclusively to our design and high standards. These ultra-soft applicator pads apply any liquid or paste product uniformly and evenly. Safe for any car’s finish, they work equally well on fine furniture, silver, clear plastics and other delicate items. Completely washable and reusable. Don’t put in dryer."

W-0004-12 ................12 pads $5.88

W-0004-2 ....................2 pads $1.50

W-0004-6 ....................6 pads $3.90

These were the foam applicator pads I saw at Wal*Mart for $1.67 per pack of 2.

Charles

imported_Intermezzo
10-16-2002, 06:50 PM
www.onegrand.com lists their applicators at 50 cents each...but when I placed an order for them, the guy told me the price was wrong. They are actually 35 cents each.

imported_Intel486
10-16-2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Intermezzo

www.onegrand.com lists their applicators at 50 cents each...but when I placed an order for them, the guy told me the price was wrong. They are actually 35 cents each.

How big are they and what is their quality like?

BradE
10-17-2002, 07:12 AM
I use TOL foam pads, they are nice and work well. I ordered like 30 of them last time so I didn`t have to keep buying them all the time.

If you are buying in bulk, 50 or more, e-mail Irene at TOL and ask for a volume discount. She will usually cut some kind of a deal.

:xyxthumbs

imported_Intermezzo
10-17-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Intel486

How big are they and what is their quality like?

The apps from One Grand are really small and nothing special. Pretty much the typical small yellow generic ones.

medic159
10-17-2002, 03:10 PM
Call Paul`s Distributors in Freeport LI, 800-287-PAUL. Ask for Richie. They are major distributors of detailing supplies and should have what you want.