PDA

View Full Version : (SAP) Brown Spots??

Green Monster
10-16-2002, 02:19 PM
Has anyone seen little brown spots appearing on their cars?

They are about 1/16 to 1/8 dia and are showing up on the cars at my work which has no trees by the cars but there are some on the out skirts of the parking lot. It seems to me to be some kind of sap because you scape some of it off with your finge nail but the rest you need Bug/Tar or Clay Bar to remove. Won`t come off with regular washing.

My Truck is covered so I haven`t personally experienced it.

admac
10-16-2002, 05:21 PM
some trees leave little brown dots, i think it`s mostly pollen. one of the trees at my house in los angeles does that. i clayed my roommate`s civic that sits in the driveway and the clay came back brown. and i mean, really brown. odd.

Thunderingbird
10-16-2002, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Green Monster

Has anyone seen little brown spots appearing on their cars?

They are about 1/16 to 1/8 dia and are showing up on the cars at my work which has no trees by the cars but there are some on the out skirts of the parking lot. It seems to me to be some kind of sap because you scape some of it off with your finge nail but the rest you need Bug/Tar or Clay Bar to remove. Won`t come off with regular washing.

My Truck is covered so I haven`t personally experienced it. YESSSS!!!!! I have that also! My work car which only has some carnuba wax on it and about half of the clearcoat left that stuff sticks to it like glue. My other car is coated with BF and the stuff just wash`s right off. My cars arent parked within any trees either, but I do beleive its coming from trees. I think that you get sprayed[for lack of a better term] as you drive down the road and pass under or very near trees. Had it happen to me one time that I actualy noticed it, very strange indeed!:)

Idrops
10-16-2002, 08:25 PM
YESSSSS, Me too. It`s uncanny. They are perfectly round brown spots. It looks like an accumulation of dark brown pollen. I spray QD on it and let it soak for about 30 seconds then wipe off with a MF. Sometimes it is difficult to remove. I noticed them about a month ago here in Florida.

What the heck is it?

:shocked

Green Monster
10-17-2002, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by Idrops

What the heck is it?

:shocked

Thats what I am trying figure out?!?!? :nixweiss

big daddy
10-17-2002, 08:44 AM
same problem with me... I stopped parking underneath the trees by work. It was either shade + sap, or sun + no sap :) The brown spots that I get are actually "little balls" that sit on the surface of my car. (They aren`t flat!)

I used accumulate maybe 20-30 spots after a day. I`d gently scrape them off with a finger nail and then QD any remaining residue.

Mmmph
10-17-2002, 10:22 AM
Sounds like it might be aphid poop...Also called honeydew.

It`s mostly sugar, so it`s hard to remove when dry.

big daddy
10-17-2002, 12:44 PM
honeydew? like the fruit? :D

actually, the type of residue that i`m getting is very easily removed. (since it`s a tiny ball) a gentle scrape with a fingernail and it comes right off..

Green Monster
10-17-2002, 01:27 PM
Anyone have an idea which tree its coming from?? :nixweiss

What ever it is coming from it floats in the air because there is no trees over hanging the parking lot but all the cars have some and even the office building windows have the spots/balls on them. :eek:

Chuck1
07-09-2009, 12:01 PM
I am reasonably certain that you are a victim of Artillary Fungus! No joke, that`s the name. The Fungus thrives in harwood mulch beds and summer time heat. If you look closely at the mulch you will see small little tubes just like a mortar bank. The brown spots are the projectile spore masses; its rather effective means of propagation and expansion. Stay away from the mulched islands or edges of your parking lot - I mean like 20 feet away! - and you should be OK. A high solvent wax and elbow grease is effective to remove the spots.

Ronkh
07-09-2009, 01:12 PM
I have been getting it too, but not brown, more of a translucent clear. I think it`s my neighbors maple spraying it in the wind.

I found that if it dries on the car, the next hard rain just about completely removes it. YMMV But It is happening daily to my cars, and after a good hard rain (since your from CT you know what I`m talking about) it`s pretty much cleared up.

alowe
07-10-2009, 04:06 AM
Did you guys get your trees sprayed for pillers?

Ronkh
07-10-2009, 11:10 AM
Did you guys get your trees sprayed for pillers?

Unless it`s from a cherry tree..... All other trees are too far away on my property. I`m bettin on my neighbprs maple tree.