PDA

View Full Version : How cold is too cold?

Pages : [1] 2

Propaganda13
10-16-2002, 07:47 AM
I tried searching since I thought this would be covered, but how cold is too cold to wax. I don`t have a heated garage to use. I use Platinum. I bought it when everyone said it was good, and by the time it reached my door, I was hearing a different tune. So, no flame wars please.

I`m sure both synthetic and carnuba users would like to know when it`s time to put away the PC.

CharlesW
10-16-2002, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Propaganda13

I use Platinum. I bought it when everyone said it was good, and by the time it reached my door, I was hearing a different tune. So, no flame wars please.

Hey if you are happy with it, that`s all that matters.

And 50 to 60 degrees seems to be about the lower limit for any products I have used. I do have a non-heated garage and I use a construction style salamander heater to warm things up, then turn the heater off. Temperature stays pretty decent for an hour or two.

Charles

(Another Platinum user):)

Vegas1
10-16-2002, 09:51 AM
I just applied another coat of Zaino this past Monday when it was 55 outside with no problems.

shaf
10-16-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by CharlesW

And 50 to 60 degrees seems to be about the lower limit for any products I have used. I do have a non-heated garage and I use a construction style salamander heater to warm things up, then turn the heater off. Temperature stays pretty decent for an hour or two.

Charles

(Another Platinum user):) (Goes to online standard --> metric conversion site) Okay... 50 F = 10 C and 60 F = ~16 C :D

The next time it gets chilly out I`ll have to remember about my 1000W halogen lamp instead of whining about how cold it is. Those things are pretty toasty for mere sources of light. :)

2wheelsx2
10-16-2002, 01:44 PM
I think I am going to get one of those oil type heat radiators from Costco this winter. The halogen light is warm, but 1000 W of light is ineffient for heating. The heater only runs like 400 watts, so I only have to turn the light on to see, not for heat! :)

shaf
10-16-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

I think I am going to get one of those oil type heat radiators from Costco this winter. The halogen light is warm, but 1000 W of light is ineffient for heating. The heater only runs like 400 watts, so I only have to turn the light on to see, not for heat! :) One word: Carport :(

I`m considering those directional parabolic heaters, but they seem a bit too narrow if I`m moving around the car a lot...

Detailing NY
10-16-2002, 03:12 PM
The portable heater do work, but not that good.

You need to be in the range of the heater. I have one and love it, but i need to keep moving it around with me.

In fact i am getting a new one again this year, so i have two around the car and me.

NYD

p.s- please use saftey when using the heaters

aljo
10-16-2002, 03:33 PM

I think I am going to get one of those oil type heat radiators from Costco this winter.

I can vouch for those heaters. We bought one last year and its still running perfectly. (After all of last winter... And I just turned it on for the first time last night) They take a while to warm up, but after that, its nice and warm heat for a very long time! It also won`t dry the air out as much as the "blower heaters (with fan)" do.

A very good investment!

When you purchase them, look at the bottom of the box! When I was at Costco picking mine up, only a few were left. Some were damaged. You can tell if you see oil leaking through te box at the bottom. So just look out for that!

And, the Heat Shield they sell at Costco sucks. I don`t like it. Returned it right away. its a fire hazard, and the heat is only concentrated in one direction.

2wheelsx2
10-16-2002, 03:37 PM
Thanks, bizzy.

NYD: Yeah, that`s why I never used one of those heaters before. I was worried about fire hazard. But I decided that I am only going to turn that thing on when I am in the garage. Otherwise it`s too much of a fire hazard.

4DSC: You only have a carport!!!:scared It`s going to be a looooong winter!

Detailing NY
10-16-2002, 04:06 PM

Thanks, bizzy.

You only have a carport!!!:scared It`s going to be a looooong winter!

I dont even have a carport. I wing it all winter at peoples homes in the driveway. It gets real cold. There are some days when the wind is blowing and you can not even feel your body any more.

But business is business and people want the car done during the winter. It is a big pain in the a$$, but need to do it. Customer

satisfaction is #1 with me.

I just got done defrosting from last winter.

NYD

CharlesW
10-16-2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by NY detailer

I dont even have a carport. I wing it all winter at peoples homes in the driveway. It gets real cold. There are some days when the wind is blowing and you can not even feel your body any more.

But business is business and people want the car done during the winter. It is a big pain in the a$$, but need to do it. Customer

NYD

Man, you have to love what you are doing.

Charles:bow

2wheelsx2
10-16-2002, 05:19 PM
I wash outside too, but usually only if it`s 4 or 5 degrees above zero. My neighbours complain about the ice rink I create! :scared

imported_Intel486
10-16-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by NY detailer

NYD

Go to a hunting store and get some of the waterproof gloves that duck hunters wear!

If you can`t find them up there, then I can look down here for you. They are pretty easy to find and will keep your hand warm and dry

Detailing NY
10-16-2002, 06:26 PM
Cool Intel thanks a lot for the idea!!:up

I will look for them tomorrow, any idea what i should be paying for them.

When it gets really cold i have an old wet/dry suit for scuba diving to keep me warm and dry.

I hope this winter is not that bad

shaf
10-16-2002, 06:41 PM

4DSC: You only have a carport!!!:scared It`s going to be a looooong winter! Yeah, tell me about it :( I don`t even have any friends with a garage! I think I`ll just bundle up with double everything and wear a winter vest.

:bow --> NY Detailer (talk about dedicated!)

SUDDEN IDEA EDIT: how good do those disposable heat packs you stick in your clothes work?