PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel problem....

Mindflux
10-15-2002, 06:23 PM
I went out to my car today to finish up some interior detailing I missed out form on the weekend. I got my window clean .. finally I figured out how to use S.I.G. Ya don`t shake it!

Secondly, I got out the Lexol Leather Treatment and Conditioner bottles, followed those to the T (Not hard duh!)

However, my new car (the 02) has perforrations(sp?) in the steering wheel and shift boot.

Now of course this will probably sound disgusting... but after driving the car for a while .. even with clean hands (!!) as you all know skin rubs off onto your steering wheel or whatever you touch as your hand glides over the item in question.

The problem there in is -- the steering wheel (in a few spots) have dead skin `dust` or whatever trapped in some of those perforations (I don`t even know if this is the right term). (lots of tiny breathing holes might be a better name).

What would be a good way to clean those out? The terry applicator didn`t get in there good enough (nor did the Lexol cleaner as it foamed up).

imported_Paul Mitchell
10-15-2002, 06:36 PM
I have had success while detailing the neighbors car that had a similar perforated leather wrapped steering wheel using only a damp MF. I was patient as to not catch and rip (although that may be difficult..) any of the leather and the wheel came out fine.

I use a damp MF on my shift knob as it is perforated and it works great.

HTH. Good luck. Regards, Eric

Mindflux
10-15-2002, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by EricGTI

I have had success while detailing the neighbors car that had a similar perforated leather wrapped steering wheel using only a damp MF. I was patient as to not catch and rip (although that may be difficult..) any of the leather and the wheel came out fine.

I use a damp MF on my shift knob as it is perforated and it works great.

HTH. Good luck. Regards, Eric

Hmmz. Well I wiped it down with a damn MF after the cleaner and a dry one after the conditioner. These are pin-hole (a wee bigger perhaps) sized perforations in the leather wrapped wheel.. I didn`t have much luck there.

imported_Tony
10-15-2002, 07:42 PM
Maybe a damp sponge.

RobD
10-15-2002, 07:50 PM
What about using masking tape (or some other tape designed to pull off clean). It might pull the "skin" out of the pores. Of course the wheel, and "skin", should be bone dry before you apply the tape. I would try a little spot first, just to be sure the tape pulls off clean without leaving alot of residue behind.

Mindflux
10-15-2002, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by rightlane

Maybe a damp sponge.

WEll I was using a damp terry applicator to apply the cleanser.. thinking that would do it. I think it did to an extent.

phildeez
10-15-2002, 08:25 PM
How bout using a stiff bristle brush and loosening all the grime up then go over with a vacuum?