PDA

View Full Version : asphalt?

phildeez
10-15-2002, 05:25 PM
Hey guys I did a search but couldn`t really find any real info.

I need to know how to get tar/asphalt/road paint off the car.

Its been on the car for a while.

would clay bar get it off or body shop time?

TIA

medic
10-15-2002, 06:08 PM
try stuff in your garage or fridge first

try some bug/tar remover, Simple green may work, but the bug/tar remover may do a better job

claying may get some of it off, but it may still be visible. you probablly need to use the more heavy duty clay from body shops (I think the clay magic one is red)

try some mayonaise. I`ve heard using mayo will help to loosen the tar and you should be able to wipe it away. I`ve never done it, but people use pledge and peanut butter on their cars, so why not mayo. I`d do this as a last resort though since it if does hurt the paint and not remove the tar, your next option would be to repaint anyways

Jngrbrdman
10-15-2002, 06:13 PM
I`ve had jobs where the tar is so tough to get off that I had to use the corner of my knife to do it. My knife has a tanto point on it so I just used the corner where it drops down into the tip. It took forever because I had to be major careful so I didn`t scratch the car at all. When all else fails you may be left with no other option except your finger-nails or a knife edge.

Try looking for some tar remover at your local auto parts store first. I`ve heard Simple Green works well on that kind of thing. I`ve had success with Turtle Wax`s tar remover as well. It may have to sit a little longer on the tar you are dealing with, but it may help a lot. Try claying it after that. If all else fails then whip out the knife and sharpen your nails.

phildeez
10-15-2002, 07:49 PM
great I`ll try my best! I might try the food stuff I`ll let you guys know.

:up

phildeez
10-15-2002, 08:02 PM
also one more question. Do you guys throw away those foam wax applicators after every use or do you use them a few times? if so how do you clean them?

tia

:D

Andre'
10-15-2002, 08:29 PM
I like to use 3M`s General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner, it removes tar fast, and it is safe for paint. I wash my foam applicators with Dawn dish soap it works very well.

Patrick
10-15-2002, 10:06 PM
3M`s all purpose would probably do the trick, however, being in the asphalt and detailing industry (weird combo eh?) I prefer using a citrus based cleaner, the one in mind is called "Naturalizer"......We buy in bulk so Im not sure where its available, im thinking a janitorial supply store for the general public......As with anything, if your not sure, or have never used a cleaner before, try in an inconspicuous area.....I have had excellent results with citrus based products......

getfit74
10-15-2002, 10:33 PM
WD-40 works like achamp to remove all kinds of nasty stuff from the paint. It eats up tar and road paint and it isnt that bad for the paint. Try it on a small area, I think youll be pleasently surprised.

chaotik
10-20-2002, 11:38 PM
I second the WD-40. I work in the asphalt industry and whenever I get asphalt/tar/road striping paint on my trucks paint or polished aluminum fuel tanks....just a squirt of WD-40 and the stuff almost just runs off. A quick wipe and its gone!!!!