PDA

View Full Version : wheel wells

Pages : [1] 2

everner
10-14-2002, 09:00 PM
This idea may be old hat for all of the pro`s, but here goes. First,I sterilize(as in,cleaner than new) the wheel wells. I use HOT water and Spic-nSpan,with a brush.Next,I wipe them with denatured alcohol,several times,till the rag comes away pretty clean.Then,I mask off the plastic pieces and the outer lip of the wheel opening(fender).I use the wide blue masking tape,doubled,so I have a tape lip around it.Then I spray the wells with semi-gloss chip guard.(black).The chip guard has a good film thickness.It`s texture looks like what they put on at the factory.I use two cans for the job.Peal away the tape.Juice up the plastic parts with a silicone based dressing that I got at a local detailing shop.The wheel wells look better than when the car rolled off the assembley line.Nice,crisp,and black.

Kleanride
10-14-2002, 09:50 PM
Pictures??? Before and after??

:nixweiss

58fury
10-15-2002, 10:28 PM
hmmm cant say i really do anything to the wells, maybe i should?? what about just a good cleaning and maybe wax???

wash-girl
10-19-2002, 10:37 PM
I usually just spray in some "No Touch" type of tire dressing foam. It cleans things up and shines the black areas pretty nice. Fast and effective.

Redcar GUY
10-19-2002, 10:43 PM
I do the wheel wells on the saturn about every other wash unless they are real bad..then it is every time

imported_Intel486
10-19-2002, 10:44 PM
I just use Pro`s Premium Blue dressing for the wheel wells. Few sprays in each wheel well and they are nice, jet black and it`ll last for almost a month.

vroddad
10-19-2002, 11:20 PM
Are silicone based dressings ever a good idea?

imported_Intel486
10-19-2002, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Frederf

Are silicone based dressings ever a good idea?

If they contain a non-migratory silicone, then yes.

I prefer water-based dressings to solvent based. I do use a solvent based dressing in wheel wells just because it last so long and really can`t harm anything.

Silicone based dressings can stain some parts though.

Tiger88
10-20-2002, 01:18 AM
The wheel wells are where I try to use up the stuff I bought, but don`t really want to use anymore. I figure it`s better to use up the old cleaning supplies than to just leave them sitting around half empty.

vroddad
10-20-2002, 03:41 AM
True, that`s where I get rid of AA Tire Foam

Richt
10-20-2002, 06:09 AM
I pesronnally feel any type of product sprayed under will attract the dirt, even before for concours comps i never use any products on them . I just wash using soapy water and a tooth brush so they a grime free and clean. Wax the painted areas and leave the plastic liners bare.

Pats300zx
10-20-2002, 06:25 AM
I always detail my wheel wells. It just makes the overall look so much better. Who wants to look at a nice shiny wheel and look inside the well and see dirt and crud...

I basically use cheap tire dressing that I get on sale. AA or other cheap stuff works.

Today I put new wheels on my 300ZX and detailed all of the suspension and wheel wells with Griots undercarriage spray. Stuff is alittle thick and oily but just an awesome job. :xyxthumbs

SVR
12-15-2002, 07:36 AM
2 step process

Step 1 - high pressure clean the wells, brush off any stuff i

couldn`t get to with the pressure cleaner gun.

Step 2 - spray omikron rd black spirit based satin finish onto entire well. Will last forever unless mud or bulldust gets into wheel wells

Some people use tyre shines, from low gloss to high but nothing beats RD. It looks like black ink but does a magnificent job

Car looks better than in the showroom or factory line.

No point having a beautiful paintjob and shiny wheels if the wells are not blackened/shined.

Will take somebefore and after photos using my dad`s digital camera in a day or two and post for you all to see.

WD40 is also good but too much causes buildup

Valvoline tyre shine is another that gives a good black look to wells.

qsfanzone
12-15-2002, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by ZJ JIM 96

I usually just spray in some "No Touch" type of tire dressing foam. It cleans things up and shines the black areas pretty nice. Fast and effective. I do the same for the normal weekly car wash but I wipe it off as soon as the foam disappears. Twice a year I will put the car up on jacks and remove the wheels & tires for a good hand cleaning and detail. This also lets me do a good back side cleaning of the wheels and tires.

SVR
12-16-2002, 06:16 AM
Top idea, i hate the black brake dust/carbon from the inner side of wheels.