PDA

View Full Version : New to this game!

Pages : [1] 2

Paintxpert
10-14-2002, 01:27 PM
Hi all,

I`ve been around a fair bit on the forums reading as much as I can, but I am still a little confused as to what I need to use :sosad

I have a Honda Accord Type R in a nice brightish, medium/dark red.

From certain angles you can see swirls and long faint scratch lines. I have clayed it before but this didnt get rid of the scratches or the tiny bits of tar all over (mainly the lower sections).

I`ve kind of narrowed it down:

Meguiars shampoo,

Clay magic with meguiars detail spray,

3M Swirl remover for dark cars and/or Klasse SG (layered 5 times?),

P21S carnauba wax,

Zymol wheel wash and protectant kit,

Lexol Vinylex.

Does this sound like a good combination for a good finish? I think the paint could do with a bit more depth and a bit more shine.

Not sure if I need something a bit stronger for the swirl marks than the 3M SMR?

Thats all for now, thanks lots!

:xyxthumbs

Redcar GUY
10-14-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by NickATRvtec

Got a pic?

welcome!

Paintxpert
10-14-2002, 01:42 PM
Thanks!

So perhaps it would be best to do the SMR and Klasse application on different occasions (say leave 2 months after SMR and do the Klasse stuff)?

The wheel cleaner stuff is a package of cleaner, brush, and protectant which seemed a good idea. I have used wheel cleaner before although it removes most of the rubbish, it doesnt leave a nice shine :nixweiss

Jngrbrdman
10-14-2002, 01:44 PM

Wow. Where do you live?? I haven`t seen an Accord Type R in the states ever. I`ve seen the Euro Accord R though and its pretty dang nice. What year do you have? Pics are going to be a must. :up

Paintxpert
10-14-2002, 01:49 PM
For Mr Zling zling ;)

Accord Type R in the wild (http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/bc/nickcrxvtec/lst?.dir=/My+Accord+Type+R&.src=ph&.view=)

Very expensive hand built s/s exhaust system! (http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/bc/nickcrxvtec/lst?.dir=/ATR+H%26S+exhaust+system+and+2-1+manifold&.src=ph&.view=)

2.2 vtec 212 BHP Type R engine (http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/bc/nickcrxvtec/lst?.dir=/ATR+engine+bay+pics+after+CD2+detailer&.src=ph&.view=)

:bow :rolleyes: :D

Edited to say - Its a UK only model (typical of Honda!). Its very much like the Integra Type R but more executive racer :cool: Its a 1999 car with 33,000 miles.

Redcar GUY
10-14-2002, 01:56 PM

For Mr Zling zling ;)

Accord Type R in the wild (http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/bc/nickcrxvtec/lst?.dir=/My+Accord+Type+R&.src=ph&.view=)

Very expensive hand built s/s exhaust system! (http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/bc/nickcrxvtec/lst?.dir=/ATR+H%26S+exhaust+system+and+2-1+manifold&.src=ph&.view=)

2.2 vtec 212 BHP Type R engine (http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/bc/nickcrxvtec/lst?.dir=/ATR+engine+bay+pics+after+CD2+detailer&.src=ph&.view=)

:bow :rolleyes: :D

Edited to say - Its a UK only model (typical of Honda!). Its very much like the Integra Type R but more executive racer :cool: Its a 1999 car with 33,000 miles.

Nice pics! I would call that bright red!

Paintxpert
10-14-2002, 02:06 PM

Yep is is a bright red, now I just need to make it perfect!

:wavey :nixweiss :)

Jngrbrdman
10-14-2002, 02:14 PM
I see that you are using CD2 for your engine detailing. :up Nice choice. Great looking car! :xyxthumbs

Jademonkey
10-14-2002, 02:18 PM
Klasse SG is a protectant while SMR is a polish.

The SMR will not protect the paint, it will just remove the swirls and scratches.

The reason you cannot but SG on right after SMR is the SMR leaves oils on the car that will make it difficult for the SG to bond properly.

That is why people use the Klasse All In One cleaner before the Sealent Glaze.

It cleans the surface of the car of any oils that will prevent the SG from bonding to the paint.

My normal detailing when I am doing everything is:

Wash with Zymol Blue stuff or P21S(whichever I have at the time)

Clay

3M SMR

Klasse AIO

Klasse SG x5 over a period of a week or two(first one right after the AIO and the rest after a minimum of 24hrs curing time)

P21S or Pinnacle Souveran Wax as a topper after layering of Klasses is finished

Paintxpert
10-14-2002, 02:21 PM
Appreciate the good comments :D

Like your 4dr (rare!) Teg too :up

We may get some nice cars in this country but we cant get anything in the way of top cleaning products :nixweiss The best we have is Autoglym and turtle wax :eek: :( and microfibre is pretty poor, so people like me are left to pay massive amounts to import the stuff thousands of miles :( :sosad

Paintxpert
10-14-2002, 02:27 PM
thanks monkey thats pretty much what i wanted to know (I think!) :up

A Q though - As my car is a daily driver, can I do a SG coat say on saturday, then Sunday, and then drive it in the week and apply the other coats the next weekend (and maybe wknd after)? Would I need to wash before putting each of these coats on?

shaf
10-14-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Jademonkey

Klasse SG is a protectant while SMR is a polish.

The SMR will not protect the paint, it will just remove the swirls and scratches.

The reason you cannot but SG on right after SMR is the SMR leaves oils on the car that will make it difficult for the SG to bond properly.

That is why people use the Klasse All In One cleaner before the Sealent Glaze.

It cleans the surface of the car of any oils that will prevent the SG from bonding to the paint.

My normal detailing when I am doing everything is:

Wash with Zymol Blue stuff or P21S(whichever I have at the time)

Clay

3M SMR

Klasse AIO

Klasse SG x5 over a period of a week or two(first one right after the AIO and the rest after a minimum of 24hrs curing time)

P21S or Pinnacle Souveran Wax as a topper after layering of Klasses is finished Exactly! BlackRegal also said this too. :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs

Also clay cannot, under any circumstances, remove swirls or scratches. If anything, incautious use could cause these. If you still have stubborn tar spots remaining just use a tar remover product to dissolve them instead of killing yourself trying to clay them out.

What strength of polish to use on swirls is a judgement call that can only be made in person. If in doubt, start with the mildest polish first. If that`s ineffective, use something stronger next like 3M Fine Cut compound or Meguiar`s DACP (if you can get it). Keep in mind that even when worked in really hard by hand, SMR is fairly mild - it just depends how bad your swirls are.

Paintxpert
10-14-2002, 02:58 PM
Thanks 4DSC,

To be honest i havent a clue exactly how bad the SMs are, but as you`ve suggested 3M SMR is prob the best to try first.

Thanks muchly :xyxthumbs

Jademonkey
10-14-2002, 09:42 PM
NickATRvtec: You should wiat a minimum of 24 hours between layers of Klasse.

If you drive the car between layers, then it is usually best to wash it again before the next layer.

If you dont then there is(depending on conditions) a good chance that you will introduce new scratches and swirls to the paint.

Paintxpert
10-15-2002, 04:41 AM
Thanks monkey, I now know what I need to do next month when I can afford it :rolleyes: :)

Good advice guys. Top stuff :bow :xyxthumbs

Thanks,

Nick :D