PDA

View Full Version : Glass polishing techniques?

Pages : [1] 2

Ryan
10-13-2002, 01:38 PM
I searched and came up empty. Please tell me why my windshield has white filmy blotches when the wipers are in use. This is happening in the rain and after I have treated it with a polish called light cut (Top of the line.com`s product) applied with a DA.

How can I fix this and what products are needed to properly polish the windshield?

Ryan

aljo
10-13-2002, 03:06 PM
Your windshield could be dirty. You could have applied the product wrong. Your wipers may be bad.

I would suggest you wash your window with Dawn to strip off all previous applications of the polish you put. Then apply the product following the instructions provided. Then change your wipers. It should be fine after you do that.

Ryan
10-13-2002, 04:43 PM
I`ve tried stripping the product only to find it slightly cleaner. Could there be a product specifically made for glass?

kbshadow
10-13-2002, 07:15 PM
On the outside glass you can polish the glass with claybar or Bar Keepers Friend.

Bob

drewski59
10-13-2002, 07:37 PM
Or...:D

You can try Mothers Chrome Polish(*says it works on glass), and I`ve recently tried it and had great success. You won`t know until you try it, right??:nixweiss

:wavey

Taxlady
10-13-2002, 08:27 PM
Does anyone know if Meguiar`s All Metal Polish would work on glass?

imported_spooled180
10-13-2002, 11:16 PM
Autoglym Glass Polish and Zaino Z-12 Clear View are both good polishes.

I got Autoglym and tried on the smallest window, I am trying to get these ugly baked on water spots, and I dunno if I did something wrong because I think it started scratching it:eek:

Or maybe is that I didn`t use a new towel?????.

Help!:)

jerry@robs
10-14-2002, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by Taxlady

Does anyone know if Meguiar`s All Metal Polish would work on glass?

Our local Meguiar`s detail shop uses that for glass polishing...

Personally, I`m using Pylon Strip-It (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12209&highlight=Pylon+StripIt) for glass polishing... Terry bonnet over a wool pad + Makita 9227C at speed one... Takes out years of grime safely without scratching in less than 10mins on the windshield....

everner
10-14-2002, 07:49 AM
I used some Endust cleaner,made to clean computer monitors,on my car windows.It works pretty good,no streaks.and it`s safe for coated glass.

Ryan
10-14-2002, 10:22 AM
I wonder if a coating on my 2000 jetta windshield is possibly the cause of my problem with film. I am almost certain this film is not from polish residue because its been treated with prep sol.

At this point I`d like to try another product from a local store. I am only hesitant because I feel its a waste of money. And can`t see why ANY polish would not work for this application??? WTF?

everner
10-15-2002, 07:39 AM
I have polished glass,by hand,with cerium oxide.I got it at a lapidary shop.It`s a powder.I mixed it with a little water,to a paste-like consistency.I used an old white cotton sock to do it.Then,I polished it with Glass-Wax, an old time product used for Christmas stencils on windows.

brenesx
10-16-2002, 06:48 PM
Rhodite Glass polish...

If you can get your nail into the scratch, its too deep...

brenesx
10-16-2002, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Ryan

I searched and came up empty. Please tell me why my windshield has white filmy blotches when the wipers are in use. This is happening in the rain and after I have treated it with a polish called light cut (Top of the line.com`s product) applied with a DA.

How can I fix this and what products are needed to properly polish the windshield?

Ryan

1. Did you compare notes on the a Jetta related forum (sorry, I don`t know the name of the VW forums, but there may be a factory problem and others may be able to compare notes? I`m assuming you haven`t tried that yet.

2. Are you using any windshield fluid, etc before or after the problem manifests itself? IOW, can you produce the problem just by running some tap water across the top of the glass while you wipe.

3. Wipers? Possible problem? (try changing them as suggested earlier in the thread) and/or in conjunction with #2 and the wiper that could mask the problem).

Comment from "Epinions" from a 1998 Jetta owner:

- - > Let`s see what else.... The windshield wipers just smear the rain around and blur it up. < - -

It also might help to see if there is a TSB (technical service bulletin) on your model and year of car to see if there`s something going on. It wouldn`t be the first time for a particular car...

$0.02...

everner
10-16-2002, 08:49 PM
I don`t know if Rhodite Glass Polish= Cerium oxide.The stuf came in a brown paper bag,with no writing on it. I asked the guy at the lapidary shop,what he would use to make glass clearer.He said,try this...Cerium oxide.

brenesx
10-16-2002, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by rek

I don`t know if Rhodite Glass Polish= Cerium oxide.The stuf came in a brown paper bag,with no writing on it. I asked the guy at the lapidary shop,what he would use to make glass clearer.He said,try this...Cerium oxide.

Not sure...

The Cerium oxide is good for polishing high-grade optics, so I can`t imagine that it would NOT be "good" stuff in any event.

And, you may very well be right (don`t know for sure)...

There could be issue regarding grit/particle size, but... who knows?

YMMV