PDA

View Full Version : Dawn?

58fury
10-13-2002, 12:56 AM
just a quick ? re: dawn, it seems to be the choice for stripping, but im guessing you could use any dish detergent correct??

HellrotCi
10-13-2002, 09:02 AM
Just remember we all split hairs around here. It`s like saying "Only hand wash your MF cloths and air dry them" over those, like me, who prefer to stick them in the washing machine and dry them in the dryer. IMO, the use of Dawn to strip the wax came about because of Sal Zaino`s suggestion prior to applying the Z system. I have never read any hard facts that Dawn provides more stripping power over other detergents to justify using it over what you have stored under your kitchen sink. All dish washing detergents strip wax, otherwise they wouldn`t cut the grease from your pots and pans and if they don`t do that, people won`t buy it and it`ll soon disappear from the shelves.

This topic has been brought up before and there are plenty of people here that will swear by Dawn. There`s just as many people who don`t say anything and use something else and the end results are the same.

58fury
10-13-2002, 11:58 AM
well i dont have any dawn left, we just have palmolive, so thats what ill use, like you said they all strip the wax off! i only need to use it once before the winter anyway, next spring ill buy some more dawn

buldog
10-13-2002, 11:59 AM
Not all dishwashing soaps are created equal. After using dawn to prep for Z, My wife needed some detergent one day and borrowed the dawn. She now swears that it is one of the better ones on the market for cutting grease. Now I don`t have to keep a bottle around, I just look under the kitchen sink.

58fury
10-13-2002, 12:16 PM
just did a search on dawn, hmmm maybe i should go buy a bottle? seems to be the stronger one, and doesnt contain any moisturizers

Sharkie
10-13-2002, 12:19 PM
Just keep in mind that Palmolive used to be touted as a soap with a hand moisturizer (Madge your soaking in it!). Assuming you use a polish or a paint cleanser afterwards probably gets rid of that stuff, but I’d be a bit dubious using it right before Z. If they use Dawn on poor little birds that land in oil slicks I figure it must be the best at cutting grime and rinsing clean.

Adam

shaf
10-13-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Adam M

(Madge your soaking in it!). LOL! :D

I think any dish washing liquid would do, but try to avoid any "extra" additives that make the detergent skin moisturizing, anti-bacterial, etc, etc. Too bad no one makes a scentless one (Dawn Free? :))

I have to go out and buy a small bottle of real genuine Dawn myself soon because all we have is some anti-bacterial Palmolive.

rstype
10-13-2002, 02:13 PM
We use Dove for dishes and Dawn for wheels, engines, stains, and grime...

Tiger88
10-13-2002, 03:31 PM
Dawn is specially formulated for cutting grease, maybe that`s why it also works well for wax. Grease and wax are chemically related.

I don`t know why, but I`ve heard that you should use the blue Dawn instead of the green.

Boongie
10-13-2002, 06:48 PM
Ejant, the only Dawn that I have found is called "Ultra Dawn". There are several scents. The original scent stuff is blue. I have read several threads about Dawn on this site but cannot find any Dawn product marked "Original Dawn", just "Ultra Dawn". Does such a thing exist?? Does it really matter if it is "Original Dawn" or "Ultra Dawn"?

PAW
10-13-2002, 07:28 PM
Either Dawn (original in the pale to medium blue) or Dawn Power Plus (Ultra? in the royal or dark blue) is what you want. The Ultra or Power Plus MAY have more grease cutters. HMMM!! I just checked my bottle. It says Ultra and is the lighter blue. Oh well. Manufacturers like to change names. Here`s a couple of links to help

Dawn home page

http://www.homemadesimple.com/dawn/index.shtml

Dawn product guide

http://www.homemadesimple.com/dawn/products.shtml

58fury
10-15-2002, 09:06 PM
never thought id be looking at the Dawn home page:D lol, anyways Wal-Mart only had the dawn ultra not original, so thats what i bought. def worked, paint was squeeky clean and water sheeted off, ready for the winter #20 and S100 applied:up

johnson
10-15-2002, 11:35 PM
I bought my Dawn Original from K-Mart last weekend. It was only $2 for a 25 oz bottle.

brenesx
10-16-2002, 02:03 PM
We get the Dawn Original at Ralph’s (when on sale) for around a buck and change (depends on the sale)...

It is the smaller blue bottle...