PDA

View Full Version : How to clean metalized plastic trim

imported_Freddy
10-11-2002, 09:55 PM
At least I think that`s it`s official name.

Basically what I`m talking about is the off-black trim found around windshields, B-pillars, and windows of some cars. After a few years of weathering these areas fade from a satin black color to a dull dark gray.

Most waxes and polishes tell you to avoid getting it on this trim, and silicone based stuff brings back the color but, washes off in even a light rain. Does anyone know of a product that can restore this trim to original color?

Thanks in advance!

dr427
10-11-2002, 11:15 PM
Spray paint works great! Just kidding.

I have had good luck just using my PC buffer. When I wax I just hit those areas I can with great results. Some door pillars are painted black and clean up pretty nice. On occasion I will pull the windshield wiper arms off and just repaint them with flat black rustoleum! Most other products I have tried wear off quickly or don`t change the appearance much once I wipe it off! Mazda (Yes the car company) makes a product called "Bumper Black" that essentially stains those black items back to black. I have a can that I have had for at least 5 years and use it on occasion.:)