PDA

View Full Version : Confused - Information Overload

baker999
10-11-2002, 02:17 PM
Now that I`ve done multiple searches on the website, as recommended by other posters, and read the e-book, searched other sites (Meguiar`s, Einszett, etc.), I am THOROUGHLY confused. I am new to "detailing" and was trying to get some information on how to get started. It seems that everybody has their own opinions about how to go about it in the beginning and which products are the best. In addition, there is disagreement about how and when to treat new paint.

I would like to buy some supplies to work on my new 2003 Passat. I like the idea of the orbital (PC 7336 or 7424 - I have that much figured out) but have NO clue where to go with the other products. Meguiar`s website was very interesting and their video helped me understand more about what I need to do. I`m totally confused about which products are good for my car`s finish (carnuba vs. polymers).

I`m an accountant who needs checklists in order to get things done. Can an experienced somebody please make a brief recommendation of products to get me started? :confused: :confused:

imported_Tony
10-11-2002, 02:22 PM
Check list

1. Wash with dawn

2. Clay with Mother`s clay

3.Wash with MGC

4.apply IHG

5. Wax with S100

Then before winter and really bad weather get here, learn to use a polymer as a base.

It is easier than you think but,buy plenty of mf towels.

crooper
10-11-2002, 02:30 PM
well basically you can go carnauba or polymer sealant. some basic principles to know is that once you put down a carnauba, you can`t top it with a polymer because it won`t stick. you can top a polymer with carnauba and something that was popular was to top Klasse with Blitz wax. However, you might want to try S100/P21S as I find it easier to work with.

anyway, with polymer sealants you pretty much have zaino, klasse and blackfire. with zaino, you want to stick with the whole zaino system. some klasse users experience "klasse haze" and I haven`t tried blackfire.

for carnaubas you have many more choices, but carnaubas don`t tend to last as long as polymers. this isn`t a problem for most people on this board because we`re always cleaning our cars and we`re willing to put in the time and effort to maintain our shiny appearance. some popular carnaubas are s100/p21s, blitz, souveran and meguiars #26.

something universal is that surface preparation is important whether you`re going with a polymer or carnauba. since you have a 2003 car you probably don`t need to do any claying or swirl removal but if you notice that your car`s paint feels gritty or bumpy, it`s time to clay. the orbital comes in handy when you do swirl removal.

aside from paint, you also have to think about tires, wheels, glass and the interior. :xyxthumbs

2wheelsx2
10-11-2002, 02:42 PM
You can skip the Dawn wash if you`re going to use Carnauba, but I would definitely clay, even if it`s a new car. And I would also do a polish with an SMR, because dealers usually cover everything up with a glaze. After that, the sky`s the limit, and your choices are many.

imported_Macgirl
10-11-2002, 03:03 PM
Koko,

Congrats on the new Passat and I`m sure you are lovin` it! I recently purchased a 2002 and it was about 3 months old when I bought it so the following list is what I did for it:

1. Thoroughly washed with a quality car shampoo (Mother`s California Gold)

2. Applied a paint cleaner (Meguiar`s Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner) by hand

3. Clay painted surfaces (Clay Magic). Although new, the paint did have tiny rust spots here and there. I think this is a very important step for any new car so you can start with a very clean and slick surface.

4. Waxed with carnauba (Meguiar`s #26 Hi-Tech Yellow wax)

In addition, to prepare for winter I am going to wash and apply the paint cleaner then use einszett Glanz Wax. This is a polymer which should give me 4-6 months of protection.

All the products I listed above can be applied with a PC except for the clay and that must be done by hand.

Andre'
10-11-2002, 08:36 PM
Baker999 i`ll try to help you. You just need to get started with some of the basic products.

#1. Wash the vehicle with Dawn. Only use Dawn to remove old wax or to prep the vehicle for polishing or waxing.

#2 Clay the vehicle. I recommend Mother`s or Clay Magic, if you see Meguiar`s don`t buy it.

#3. Time to polish. I recommend 3M polishes. If you fave light swirl-marks use 3M`s Perfect-it Swirlmark Remover. If this product doesn`t remove the light swirls use a more abrasive product 3M`s Finisse-it2 or fine cut rubbing compound.If you do use a compound re polish the finish with a swirlmark to remove any haze from the compound.

#4.Protect the finish. I recommend Klasse All In One and Klasse Sealant Glaze.http://www.properautocare.com/klasse-usa.html

This site has info on Klasse, they also sell it.