PDA

View Full Version : tried Scratch X...now what?

imported_shineycar
10-11-2002, 12:38 PM
I tried Meguire`s Scratch X to remove a scratch but it still is present. The car is only three months old and the scratch can be felt. Should I try another application of the Scratch X?

PS I dont have a pc or rotary.

imported_shineycar
10-11-2002, 12:49 PM
I can feel it with my fingertip, but I don`t know about the fingernail. It looks like a key scratch.

imported_Tony
10-11-2002, 12:51 PM
Meguiars Scratch X is a mild polish that requires you to work the product until it breaks down. It is not used like a wax. You need to rub back and forth until the product is almost dry. Often it takes several application. I believe it is one of the few polishes that can be used by hand. Stronger ( more cut) polishes are hard to break down by hand even though some pros can do that.

A general rule is if you catch your finger nail in the scratch then the scratch is probably through the clear coat. Be very careful with this type of scratch because if you remove too much clear then paint failure can occur.

Review David`s E-Book for a better understanding.

I am getting slow in my old age... actually thats just an excuse for taking so long to enter my reply

imported_shineycar
10-11-2002, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the info. I`ll try the fingernail test first before proceeding. I gather that if it is down to the clearcoat it might be best to use a glaze instead to hide it?

imported_Tony
10-11-2002, 01:42 PM
I am going to purchase one of these for this type of problem.

http://www.properautocare.com/spotrepairkit.html