PDA

View Full Version : PI-II, PI-III, FI-II, FI-III polishes ??`s

StLB5
10-11-2002, 08:56 AM
I`m in the middle of polishing my "new" used 02 Black Altima and I just ran out of FI-II. It did a very decent job of getting most of the swirls out, but there are still some left, not deep enough to feel with a fingernail, but they`re still there.

From what I understand after searching a bit, the PI line is a bit more aggressive that the FI line, 1500 grit vs. 1200 grit I believe. How is the PI FCRC for ease of use? The FI-II has been a pain to get off. I know I`m supposed to work it in, but I`m affraid of working it too long once it is fairly dry. I`ve been using SMR and it seems to "buff out" very easily. The FI doesn`t. Am I doing anything wrong? Even when I try to wipe it off with an MF, it`s very hard to get off and leaves an oily look.

Anyway, I think there is a II and III version of both FI and PI, how are they different? Is III just a new version? Does it have different properties?

And finally, should I give PI a whirl for what FI couldn`t get, or am I wasting time? If I go with PI, will SMR clean up any marring, or will I have to go PI-FI-SMR?

Thanks!

imported_Tony
10-11-2002, 11:03 AM
Are you doing this by hand?

StLB5
10-11-2002, 11:14 AM
PC!

TortoiseAWD
10-11-2002, 01:25 PM
I`ve used the PI-III Machine Glaze and the FCRC . . . both are much easier to work with than FI-II, IMO, with a slight downside of a great deal more dust generated while buffing. The MG seems to be a bit less agressive than FI-II, but moreso than Meg`s #9. As far as how they "finish", FCRC may leave a slight haze that needs to be followed by something milder. MG leaves an excellent gloss, though, and I think it does a better job on swirls than #9.

Tort

mrdetailer
10-11-2002, 01:39 PM
of 3M products are easier to remove and have less residue. While I still use IHG on occassion and like it a lot, Prefect-IT Machine Glaze and Swirl Mark Remover and those of that family I have used clean themselves up, leaving almost no dust, and little to wipe up.