PDA

View Full Version : what product is missing from my plan...

Surfer8210
10-10-2002, 06:59 PM
after a few questions on this board, I`m pretty excited about getting my car waxed and looking nice.

i`m looking for some recommendations/suggestions to my proposed detailing method...

its important for you all to know my primary objective...to hide swirls and imperfections on black paint, 2002 year car.

so far, here is what I have....

1)wash with Pinnacle Shampoo

2)apply Pinnacle Paint Cleansing Lotion with terry pad

3)apply Souveran Paste Wax with foam applicator

i feel i`m missing an important step in the detail process, but don`t know what. i am not familiar with glazes, sealants, etc. Further, where would I input these into my proposed plan. Even further, I don`t even know which brand to choose!!

thanks

rockymountaindetail
10-10-2002, 07:40 PM
Did you dry your car? Thats kinda important :D

You could put a glaze on after the paint cleaner and before the wax. I`ve used 3Ms glaze and found it difficult to buff off, for me I`d just assume use z5 (zaino swirl filler) as most glazes last if your lucky, one wash...

My method I use for the cars I detail for my family is I use PPCL approximately every 6 months, a layer or two of z5 and whatever the paste wax of the month is. Today its S100, last month it was Blitz, for you it sounds like its Souveran. You can always use a QD (quick detailer) after you wash and after you polish if you feel its needed.

Surfer8210
10-10-2002, 08:14 PM
thanks...

how important is a filler (glaze)? I mean, will there be a NOTICEABLE difference if i were to use the glaze or not.

wouldnt the PPCL act as a "filler" before I applied the Souveran?

all these terms are new to me so i`m trying to understand

Shant

Ken B
10-11-2002, 12:22 PM
Clay might be fun... right after the wash, just to make sure you remove any embedded debris.

rockymountaindetail
10-11-2002, 12:59 PM
I wouldn`t recommend clay to a beginner as it has the potential to be swirl city on a black vehicle...

I`d recommend you clay a friends vehicle before doing your own.

mrdetailer
10-11-2002, 01:45 PM
Is it an older vehicle. Does it feel rough to the touch even after washing? Can you see scratches or swirls? What condidtion is the paint? Has it been garaged?

HellrotCi
10-11-2002, 01:45 PM
I wouldn`t recommend clay to a beginner as it has the potential to be swirl city on a black vehicle... He`s got to learn sometime. It`s better to mess up his own car than a friend`s and then have his friend go around saying he doesn`t know what he`s doing. Besides, claying is a piece of cake, it`s not rocket science.

imported_Tony
10-11-2002, 02:16 PM
Mother`s Clay is as easy as it gets, if you can not use Mother`s clay then you should not be driving. Cut the bar in to 3 pieces, spray with Showtime and have a party.

Good luck my friend

crooper
10-11-2002, 02:20 PM
if the paint feels gritty, not like smooth glass, then it`s time to clay. as long as you keep a clean portion of the clay against the paint and also use enough lube it should be fine.

instead of glazing you could use a swirl remover before the PPCL.