PDA

View Full Version : Attacking bad swirls

spiroh
10-09-2002, 10:54 AM
What do you guys recommed for attacking bad swirl marks. My car is a 2001, and it just has bad swirl marks. I`m sick of looking at my car like this, and need to do something about it. I do have a PC to work with. What products do you guys recommend, to remove the swirls? I`m looking for best results,

Thanks,

spiro

paco
10-09-2002, 11:17 AM
1st - Figure out where they are coming from. Examine your washing technique. Look at how you apply the wax/cleaners that you have been working with. Are you using 100% cotton USA made towels? Are you using MF towels?

2nd - What products do you currently use and how often?

3rd - Now onto dealing with surface:

If you can feel them with your finger nail. You`re in for a wet sand or at best, minimize the appearance of scratch.

If you can not feel it with your nail, then I`d jump to:

DACP by Meguiars with a W7000 Cutting Pad. Work it till it becomes almost invisible and wipe clean with a MF towel. Look up DACP with search tool and see what techniques people are using.

Clay

Follow-up with Meguiars No. 9 SMR 2.0 or Swirl Free Polish. Then No. 26.

Or else, goto 3M FCRC (fine cut) with a Cutting pad and work it really well (5min is not uncommon) to break down the abrasives effectly.

Clay

Followed by 3M SMR and No. 26/S100/P21S/Blitz etc.

Don`t bother with a dawn wash as the compounds will take care of any residual wax etc. Avoid Zanio/Klasse at this point until you have a finish that you happy with.

We`ll be able to help you more once we know what you`re approach has been and you comfort level on using a Porter Cable.

Paco

spiroh
10-09-2002, 11:21 AM
I usually use 100% cotton towels, or synthetic lambwool to clean the car. I am using Meguairs soap. For waxing purposes I usually Klasse. I only used my PC once, and I`m still learning with it. What speed should I use with the abrasive products? I already have a good amount of pads from CMA for my PC.

spiro

paco
10-09-2002, 11:29 AM
Look up the 2 wash bucket method (or 3).

What type of SMR or paint cleaner`s have you used?

For the PC - start at 4 and then work you`re way up to 6 after a few minutes. Once you comfortable, some just go straight way with the 6. I personally like to start around 4.5 and let the abrasive level the scratch and then crank it to 6 for the finishing portion.

What`s key will be the product/pad combination and you ensuring you work the products long enough to breakdown the abrasive`s properly to get the swirl free high gloss finish.

I`d stop with the Klasse until you have your finish in order as Klasse will bring out the look of the scratches even more. Stick with SMR/Wax combo with a glaze if tickles your fancy until you have the finish in a nice condition.

More information would be helpful though. You can almost never post too much information as to how you have been treating the finish. It`ll only help us help you more.

Paco

shaf
10-09-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by spiroh

I usually use 100% cotton towels, or synthetic lambwool to clean the car. First, I`d ditch the synthetic lambswool mitt and get a genuine sheepskin mitt. At least that way you know what you`re getting. Polyester mitts can scratch just like polyester blend towels and cheap, non-domestically made so-called "100% cotton" towels.

Also, what washing and drying techniques are you using? Technique is as important (or more important) than products.

I personally think most scratches/swirls come from either the washing and/or drying phases. Of course waxing and QDing can hurt too if you`re not careful...

spiroh
10-09-2002, 02:41 PM
I really dont use any specific motions when I wash my car. I do a panel at a time, then dip itback in the bucket, and start on the other panel. I use an absorber to dry the car up.

spiro