PDA

View Full Version : How often do you QD?

Old Rattle Flat
10-09-2002, 04:31 AM
How often do you QD, and what is your judgment call as to whether to wash first and than QD, or just QD?

Old Rattle Flat

NattyBumppo
10-09-2002, 07:17 AM
After every wash....usually once, maybe twice weekly. Since my vehicle is not garaged, I`ve stopped QD`ing without washing after I noticed the re-introduction of swirls on my hood and rear quarter.

imported_memnuts
10-09-2002, 07:58 AM
I QD the Z28 (garage queen) after every use. The Z28 is never driven in bad weather ( rain, fog, snow:scared: ,too hot, road construction,parked under trees, etc.). It rarely sits outside more than 5 hrs when I take her to work( 2-3 times/month). This tends to alleviate surface contamination and QD`ing after a Cali dusting allow me to only wash her every 6-8 weeks.

The Lexus is only QD`d after washing. Being a daily driven black car the chances of creating surface marring is greatly increased by any finish manipulation without washing.:wavey

hondaguy2582
10-09-2002, 11:55 AM
so, do you think it be safe to just qd a daily driven 02 civic silver after every wash? My civic still feels slick as i washed it 5 days ago, and its been driven everyday since!!!

Scottwax
10-09-2002, 12:03 PM
Every time after I wash my car or use my California Duster. Also after I have driven around and couldn`t avoid puddles in the road.

imported_memnuts
10-09-2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Abercrombie2582

so, do you think it be safe to just qd a daily driven 02 civic silver after every wash? My civic still feels slick as i washed it 5 days ago, and its been driven everyday since!!!

That is a difficult question to give an exact answer. If a light colored car is just dusty with no obvious attached dirt periodic QD`ing between washes should be fine. If in doubt...WASH (using proper tools and technique). This will decrease the amount of visible and invisible clearcoat marring in the long run leading to a overall newer appearing finish for the long haul.:wavey

ashsarna
10-09-2002, 01:43 PM
I have a silver and a black car.

Silver: QD after every wash, rain, and since it is a light color I QD when dusty.

Black: QD after every wash, rain, and in between (after using the Cali Duster).

Try not to dust on a hot hood, I notice that it can smear your finish even with the duster.

imported_Tony
10-09-2002, 01:56 PM
Old Rattle Flat: love the name

When in doubt wash!

ernie
10-09-2002, 05:20 PM
Every time I wash (the truck, that is) and don`t wax. Too concerned about introducing small scratches on black paint to QD between washes.

ernie