PDA

View Full Version : when to glaze?

imported_roadk
10-08-2002, 10:16 PM
been detailing for quite a while now but,

never thought much of glazes....

when do you use glazes, why and what are the benefits/downsides?

thanks!

--roadk

johnson
10-08-2002, 10:26 PM
You put on a coat of glaze before you wax.

1.Wash

2.Clay

3.Clean

4.Glaze (Polish)

5.Wax

Scottwax
10-08-2002, 10:32 PM
I use a glaze as a final gloss enhancer prior to waxing. If your paint is in excellent condition, you should probably use a glaze every other time you wax to fill in any minor scratches and other light imperfections you pick up along the way. Use a stronger paint cleaner like a swirl remover every 4th time you wax and follow with a glaze. Clay as needed and your paint should look a mile deep for years to come.

Bassinmax
10-09-2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

..., you should probably use a glaze every other time you wax to fill in any minor scratches and other light imperfections you pick up along the way...

Hi Scottwax. You mean IHG?

I`m still confused that DavidB mentioned SG as a glaze in `The Perfect Shine`. Is it a glaze in your sense?

2wheelsx2
10-09-2002, 11:01 AM
IHG, #7, Mother`s Sealer and Glaze, etc. are all glazes which can be applied prior to a wax.

Scottwax
10-09-2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by ruangvith

I`m still confused that DavidB mentioned SG as a glaze in `The Perfect Shine`. Is it a glaze in your sense?

IHG is good, I prefer Meguiars Hand Polish from their Body Shop Pro line, also Meguiars Show Car #7 or Machine Glaze #3 are also excellent.

IMHO though, Hand Polish is the easiest to remove, although Machine Glaze comes off reasonably easy also. You just have to remember to go light on glazes since they have a lot of oils in them.

shaf
10-09-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by ruangvith

I`m still confused that DavidB mentioned SG as a glaze in `The Perfect Shine`. Is it a glaze in your sense? The names can be confusing sometimes. ALL the products both 2wheelsx2 and Scottwax mentioned are true glazes in the traditional sense.

Klasse Sealant Glaze (SG) is NOT a real glaze, but a synthetic polymer sealant type of product. I suspect they used the word glaze because of its swirl hiding ability. Do not treat it like a glaze, and remember that sealants are generally not compatible over or under glazes.

Also (this confused the heck out of me as a newbie) Mothers Sealer and Glaze is just a traditional glaze. Ignore the word "sealer". :) I haven`t used other glazes, but I find this product pretty easy to use, cheap, and easily available. Oh yeah, works pretty good too! :p

Scottwax
10-09-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by 4DSC

The names can be confusing sometimes. ALL the products both 2wheelsx2 and Scottwax mentioned are true glazes in the traditional sense.

Klasse Sealant Glaze (SG) is NOT a real glaze, but a synthetic polymer sealant type of product. I suspect they used the word glaze because of its swirl hiding ability. Do not treat it like a glaze, and remember that sealants are generally not compatible over or under glazes.

Also (this confused the heck out of me as a newbie) Mothers Sealer and Glaze is just a traditional glaze. Ignore the word "sealer". :) I haven`t used other glazes, but I find this product pretty easy to use, cheap, and easily available. Oh yeah, works pretty good too! :p

To add more confusion, Wax Shop`s Super Glaze is a wax. :rolleyes:

gsustache
10-09-2002, 01:11 PM
I spoke to mayor David B the other day. Klasse SG really isn`t a glaze. When using the All in One, a follow up coat of SG does make a difference but it`s not well appreciated by everyday clients. On my own toys I`d use the glaze but not if folks aren`t willing to pay for the product and labor. The wax coat over synthetic seals is key.

imported_roadk
10-10-2002, 09:24 PM
alright:

i use AIO and SG.

will a glaze remove the AIO or SG layers?

what will glaze do for me?

-- and what is your suggestions for a glaze best for black paint?

thanks!

shaf
10-10-2002, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by roadk

alright:

i use AIO and SG.

will a glaze remove the AIO or SG layers?

what will glaze do for me?

-- and what is your suggestions for a glaze best for black paint?

thanks! Yes, glazes will remove SG, hence what I said in my post above. AIO doesn`t really "layer". Use glazes only with non-sealant systems.

gsustache
10-10-2002, 11:22 PM
roadk,

If you`re using Klasse All in One and Sealant Glaze why do you want to use a true "glaze"? The other folks are right, a traditional glaze may contain cleaners that will strip your sealant. Just layer your sealant glaze a few times if you want better protection. For black shine the Souveran wax is key. When layered over your sealant it will be spectacular. Your Jetta is an Audi/VW paintjob, one of the best in the bussiness. Follow DavidB`s perfect shine; clay, cleanse, spot clean with 3M Fine Cut Rubbing Compound, use 3M Swirl Remover for dark cars, Klasse All in One, follow with Klasse Sealant Glaze (layer this if you want) and top off with Souveran Wax. That`s alot of work but if you maintain the car with quick detailing a few times a week, your work will last for up to a year. I detail a clients black VR6 with clay, Meguiar`s Prem Paint Cleaner, 3M Fine Cut RC, #9 swirl remover, #20 Poly Seal and a final coat of caranuba wax. The guy is one happy camper. I just Quick Detail him a few times a month and he`s good to go. Let me know,

Gil