PDA

View Full Version : Success again, just finished detailing the wife`s car

imported_Quailer
10-08-2002, 12:28 PM
She has a 97 Pontiac Grand Am (Red) The car`s paint has a nice shine to it, but it has swirls a plenty in the paint. The car was previously a rental car in Florida before we purchased it. So the paint has shine, but no real depth. You could see the swirls in the paint if you got any closer than 10 ft. The paint was cloudy in some ways because of these fine scratches.

After conquering the Audi yesterday (and being laid off with no interviews today) I decided to tackle her car. I used almost the same routine I did with my car. By lessening the mount of FCRC on the wool pad, I was able to do away with the shedding of the pad. I also noticed that while the wool pad cut better than the yellow foam pad, the wool pad left some hazing on the surface. If I used the yellow foam pad, I would have to work the area longer, but the result was an almost 100% swirl and scratch free surface.

I was more patient with my wifes car, as the paint is in far worse condition than the Audi`s, and it paid off. I made sure to spend at least 2-3 minutes per panel, with 10-15 minutes on the hood and the roof. (I used 2-3 passes on the hood, as the swirls were really atrocious there)

I followed up with the FI II, and the paint was then squeaky clean, ready for the waxing. I used my good `ole Blitz for wax. Once again, the wax went on so smoothly, you could barely tell it was on the paint. Once buffed off, the car looks perfect.

I did take a few pics to show how the panels looked. 1/2 half of the pic is the buffed side, the other half untouched. The pics were taken in direct sunlight, so you can see the spiderwebbing of the sun in the paint on the untouched side. Unfortunately, I don`t have a digicam, so the pics will have to wait until I get the film developed.

Now for another question:

I am running out of Blitz, and my Pinnacle Paste Glaz is running low also. Now is the perfect time to try a new wax. What can you suggest that will give as deep a shine as the PPG layered over the Blitz? I`ve never tried any synthetic waxes, so I have no idea what they work like..

imported_Simon
10-08-2002, 12:59 PM
If you keep going at this rate, you should start your own business.:D

imported_Tony
10-08-2002, 02:57 PM
Did you water mist your wool pad before applying the FCRC? Did you use a PC?

Scottwax
10-08-2002, 03:08 PM
Sounds like you did a lot of work on the car. I`ll be looking for the pics. I don`t mind the drawback of waiting to finish a roll of film in light of the much better quality you get from 35 mm.

If you want to try another wax, either order P21S on line or buy S100 at your local Harley dealership. It`s the same wax and in my experience, it shines better than Soveran or Paste Glaz (and yes, I have used both). In addition, if you have metallic paint, S100 gives it an unreal glow.