PDA

View Full Version : Best system for under $1000

thevolvoguy
10-08-2002, 06:50 AM
I would like to begin upgrading my stereo system in the 850. Heres what I have stock:

2 (2 1/4) tweeters in dash

2 (5 1/4) 2 way full range speakers

2 (5 1/4) 1 way midrange speakers

2 (6x9) Rear deck speakers

The system sounds great, and can easily handle the volume of the stock Alpine/Volvo reciever (around 150 watts) So my question is, what exactly can I get for 1k stereo wise... would that still be enough money to get some better replacement speakers? (I don`t wanna downgrade)

Thanks! :wavey

Jademonkey
10-08-2002, 09:55 AM
I just upgraded mine in the e36

This is all cdn prices tho...

I paid $650 for Alpine Headunit

$450 for Infinity Kappa 505cs 5/14" components

$180 for Infinity Kappy 4" two way speakers

$500 for Audiobahn 4x75 watt amp

$700 for audiobahn 2x400watt amp

$300 for 2 12" Cerwin Vega vega series subs

so for just upgraded speakers you could easily spend less then $1000 US

MBQuarts are good speakers, as are focal.

Check around online.

http://www.sounddomain.com has a good selection of speakers to give you an idea of prices.

Scottwax
10-08-2002, 11:46 PM
Upgrade the speakers to Kicker co-axils...all of them. Kickers are more efficient (louder with the same amount of power) and a lot more bass. I have JBLs in my front doors and Kickers in the rear deck (both 6.5") and the Kickers are noticably louder and the bass shakes the whole car...without a sub. I just have a Kenwood KAC-848 4 channel amp rated at 100 watts a channel...although at .05 % distortion, it is 50 watts a channel.

You may not need any other upgrades once you have Kickers all the way around. You`d need 300 watts plus to really notice a difference in sound level, but with better, more efficient speakers, they will make the most of what you already have.

spotter
10-09-2002, 10:33 AM
You can get a great deal on an amp today at www.thezeb.com

this morning I ordered an Audiobahn 4401X 4 channel amplifier that retails for $390 on clearance (it is a brand new 2001 model) for $200. You will have to look hard to get a better deal for the money than this. This will give you "actual" power of 50 watts x 4 @ 4 ohms and has all the bells and whistles you are likely to need or want.

boywonder
10-12-2002, 06:05 PM
Check out Boston Acoustics FX series. They are a nice sounding speaker for a nice price. :D

Nagchampa
10-12-2002, 06:28 PM
If your system sounds great already, why not just add some bass?

I would start with the amp that OutlawTitan suggested, and get a small sealed sub box, or build a sealed fiberglass enclosure for one or two 10" sub(s). JL`s are cheap and decent sounding.

I would bridge the two rear channels to operate the sub, and use the front two channels to power the front speakers.

You should be able to upgrade the rest of your speakers with the $650-$700 you have left. The beauty of this system is it is very easy to upgrade when you are further down the road.

My only other suggestion would be to install the amplifier

before you buy speakers. Let us know how you make out! :wavey