PDA

View Full Version : Chicago and Ottawa detailing sources...303 etc

scottrS4avant
10-08-2002, 12:41 AM
Hi guys,

I`m living in Switzerland, but making a trip to Ottawa then Chicago at the end of October. I want to be coming home with a stack of detailing products for a new Saab I`m getting in November.

Looks to me like I`ll be going the Zaino route for exterior, Stoners on the glass, Leatherique for the interior. All of those I`m getting through internet.

I`d like a few other things like 303 protectant for the vinyl and giving the leather some additional UV protection, maybe a Clay Magic blue bar instead of the Zaino bar, some good quality MF towels etc. etc.

So....anybody know Chicago and/or Ottawa area retailers that I can check out while I`m in the area? I`ve heard 303 protectant is relatively easy to find, but I`d be psyched to find a Clay Magic bar somewhere, so looks to me like I`d need to find a real auto store that`s oriented towards cleaning/detailing. Thanks if you can give me a website address if you know of one.

Thanks guys,

Slackmeister
10-08-2002, 01:26 AM
You may know that some of the Auto Zone stores carry the blue Clay Magic bar (w/QD). If you don`t run across any of these stores in the Chicago area, I know that there is one on Norris Drive in Ottawa, IL.

I also do recall that the Menards home improvement centers carry a few of the Stoner`s products.

There should be some nice weather that time of year in northern IL, I used to live in Ottawa some time ago. Have a good trip. :)

scottrS4avant
10-08-2002, 01:32 AM
Thanks Slackmeister. Some other poster a while back said Auto Zone doesn`t carry Clay Magic anymore.

Another thing on my list is Viking foam app pads...any Chicago or Ottawa sources anyone?

Looking forward to the weather too.....beautiful trees that time of year.

jjagain
10-08-2002, 01:28 PM
You can get 303 at any Zellar`s in Canada. Canadian Tire usually carries some of the meguiar`s products and Mother`s. CMax can usually order any Meguiar`s or 3m products and have it within a day.

Oh wait.... you`re not talking about Ottawa, Canada, are you? :o

scottrS4avant
10-08-2002, 01:42 PM
Cool Zilla, thanks for the good news about Zellers - that oughta mean 303 is going for a good price. No local suppliers of the Clay Magic blue bars that you know of? Viking foam pads for Zaino application? Ottawa Senators hood ornaments?

shaf
10-08-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by zilla

You can get 303 at any Zellar`s in Canada. Canadian Tire usually carries some of the meguiar`s products and Mother`s. CMax can usually order any Meguiar`s or 3m products and have it within a day.

Oh wait.... you`re not talking about Ottawa, Canada, are you? :o Hmm, I knew there was someone from Ottawa here! :)

For MFs, if you can`t find anything "famous", Zellers might have some made by Turtle Wax (but they tend to be low on stock), or you can go to an Autozone store in the US and get them there (probably better luck they have them). Pretty inexpensive, but high quality IMO - I use these and like them.

EDIT: You`re welcome Dave. :D

jjagain
10-08-2002, 01:48 PM
I`ve never been able to find the infamous turtle wax MFs at zellers. Though, CT has simoniz MF towels. they look like synthetic chamois. I never gave them a second look until a friend pointed out that they were actually MF towels.

I`m seriously thinking about taking a trip to upstate New York (massena) and hitting a detailing store there (if they have one). it`s only about a 1 hour drive.

jjagain
10-08-2002, 01:52 PM
Dave: there is a local zaino seller in town. I`m not sure if he sells the pads, tho.

the 303 is around 10-15$ if i recall correctly. depends on the size of the bottle.

There`s sens stuff all over the place heh. that`s one thing that you won`t have a hard time finding :) I`m checking out some leads for higher end supplies this week. I`ll let you know what I find out. :xyxthumbs

scottrS4avant
10-08-2002, 02:09 PM
Excellent Zilla - that`d be a great help. If you have any contact info for the local Zaino retailer I`d love to hear it. Thanks also for the offer to keep me posted on higher end local supply - I`m definitely interested in reducing the number of different places I`m making purchases from.

Nice to hear the town loves the Sens. Over here I only follow NHL through the papers now and then. Such a beautiful game.

Hey Vancouver, thanks again :D

imported_BretFraz
10-08-2002, 02:27 PM
No Chicago advice for Dave?

Only decent place I can think of is Emmon`s Coachworks. I think their website is www.emmonscoachworks.com .

I went there a time or two when I lived in Chicago. There aren`t too many places like that there; Chicago is not really a car town per se like Indy or Detroit are. But they did carry some good stuff and it`s not too far from the city.

Hopefully some of our resident Chicagoans can offer more choices.

scottrS4avant
10-08-2002, 02:47 PM
Nice tip Bretfraz. I called them just now. Turns out they are about 30 minutes away from the airport and 25 miles out of downtown where my (ugh) meetings will be. They do have good looking stuff, but I think I might just give up on the Clay Magic bar and go with the Zaino clay.....really would like to get my shopping down to a minimum of dealers.

imported_billyboy1955
10-08-2002, 03:13 PM
The Zellars in Ottawa carries 303 for $15 cnd.

Also, you should check out MPS Automotive & Industrial Products.

1580 Laperriere Ave

Ottawa Ont.

Tel: 613 728-3778

They sell Maguiar`s professional line as well as 3M products. Very good service but not open on Sundays.

Walmart is also carrying a 3 pack of Autozone MF towels for $15. I do not know how good they are yet, I am just testing them out now.

Have a good visit to Ottawa!

jjagain
10-08-2002, 03:47 PM
Ottawa Zaino Rep:

Glen Sibbett (613) 831-0511

Cheers