PDA

View Full Version : Just completed my first detailing. WOW!! What a difference the PC makes

imported_Quailer
10-07-2002, 06:37 PM
I just detailed my car for the first time using the PC 7424 and the CMA Pad kit. After reading up on the many posts on what materials to use, I started off with the 3M Paste Rubbing compound (fine cut) and the wool pad. Working the PC on a speed setting of 3-4, I found that all that I was doing was making mucho lint of the wool pad, and the paint didn`t look a whole lot better.

I then switched to the Yellow pad, with the Rubbing compound, and upped the speed to 5. Viola`!! I was making some progress. My car is a 2000 Audi A6, the color is Ming Blue, a very dark Blue, which looks almost purple/black. The car has never been to a car wash, always has been hand washed and waxed, and has only been to a professional detailer once. The paint had those back and forth type swirls (I always wash and dry the car in back and forth motions) that were visible only at certain angles in daylight, and under flourescents at night.

After working the car completely with the FCRC, I was tempted to go straight to my wax, as I didn`t see any swirls. Instead, I went with the SMR for dark cars, and was surprised to see that it did improve the finish even better than the FCRC. I went over the entire car with the SMR using the white pad, and a speed of 5 on the PC. The car was absolutley shimmering, like a still pool, the color deep and dark.

My final step was my wax. I whipped out my can of Blitz and went to town. When the paint has been cleaned like it was, the wax went on even smoother than usual. It dried so clear that you could barely tell that there was wax on the paint. I put on the wool pad with the terry bonnet and buffed it off. The paint now looks like glass, with rich, deep, dark color. All of the swirls were gone (in daylight) and the car looked like new again. I waited about 1/2 hour and then whipped out my Pinnacle Crystal Mist, and spritzed a MF towel and removed all the dust. The car is beautiful. My wife, who knows how much of a clean car nut I am, came home and marveled at how much better the car looked.

I took a ride to the local gas station to view the car under the bright flourescents. There are still some swirls in the paint, I would say slightly less than 1/3 of them are remaining. I am thrilled with the results, and the PC is well worth the money. But I do see myself getting a rotary in the near future. I have 3 well-worn cars to practice on, so I won`t be going at it on my car.

Now for the two questions:

1. I also purchased the Finesse It II. But I didn`t know when to use it, or if it was needed. The car looked so great after the SMR, I didn`t think it was necessary. When (and on what type of paint) should I use it?

2. What is a good rotary for a at home detailer to use? Nothing heavy duty, just for use to knock out those hard to remove swirls on the hood and trunklid.

3. the method I used today worked well, with the exception of the wool pad shedding when used with the FCRC. What am I doing wrong with the wool pad for it to do so? Is there any other procedure I should be using instead of the one I mentioned?

Thanks in advance.

Steve @ Guru
10-07-2002, 07:46 PM
Great to hear about the success - the Porter Cable is one of my all time favorite tools.

You should be able to knock out 99% of the swirls with the PC, thus eliminating the need for the rotary. However, a rotary can do some amazing things, especially in the hands of an experienced user. If you`re looking for a rotary, I think the Dewalt 849 is the way to go - full ball bearings, excellent speed control and it`s on sale at CMA for $199. I`ve found it for $188 at Amazon, but I`m not sure if that`s `new` or `refurbished`...

I *think* that the wool shredding problem might have to do with the speed and technique. I`ve used wool pads on the PC many times without trouble; you have to turn up the speed a bit and make sure that the product-to-pad ratio is correct. It takes a little practice, but you should `get it` eventually.

The FI-II should have probably been used after the FCRC and before the SMR. It`s sort of a `step 2` between those two products.

Typically, when removing swirls I do the following:

1) FI-II w/wool pad

2) DACP w/Yellow pad (Meguiar`s Dual Action Cleaner Polish)

3) SMR or Meguiar`s SMR #9 v2.0 w/Yellow pad

4) P21S PCL w/White pad

5) Wax

So far (knocking on wood) this has remedied all but the most gruesome swirls. The key is to really work the products in to the paint; it usually takes me 5-10 minutes per panel when I`m really trying to get rid of the swirls.

HTH, I`m sure others will have excellent ideas and thoughts as well (not that my ideas are excellent). :)

laynlow
10-07-2002, 08:07 PM
Great advise from Geeky there! :up

The only thing I would do different in his regime is reverse the DACP and FI-II. I think the DACP has more bite. Actually, I either use SMR or FI-II for the followup, there about the same. Meguiars Swirl Free Polish is also a great follow up to DACP.

I`m glad you were pleased with your results! :xyxthumbs

johnson
10-07-2002, 09:35 PM
I cant wait to get my 7336 from Lowes. I havent got it yet because I just ordered the CMA kit UPS says it SHOULD be here on Wednesday.