PDA

View Full Version : Sealant bonding with IHG

imported_dickie
10-07-2002, 10:39 AM
Friend detailed his car last week using IHG followed by some sort of Simonz Sealant. I think it was called Diamond Brite. Anyway; a couple of days later I noticed for want of a better word `air bubbles` all over his paint surface. Presumably this was caused by the sealant not being able to bond properly.

So I`m thinking of giving his car a good going over with Autoglym Super Resin. You reckon this would sort his problem out ?

thx

Lowejackson
10-07-2002, 12:50 PM
IHG has fillers which would make it difficult for most polymers to gain a good bonding. You could try using a good wax like Blitz, which would look great or wash and clean everthing and then reapply Autoglym.

Steven

shaf
10-07-2002, 01:52 PM
Wow, this is a pretty vivid picture of what can happen with improper sealant prep! Not that I`ve heard of this before though. I wonder if this Simoniz stuff is like that really thick plastic-like coating someone else mentioned earlier (cvcaelen?).

If you have some kind of dedicated paint cleaner/cleanser/pre-was cleaner, I`d use that first to strip what sounds like a big mess off. Or maybe rubbing alcohol would be easier...

Then do the Simoniz without IHG or use the IHG and a traditional wax. Glazes and sealants are enemies! :D