PDA

View Full Version : Just got PC need help with ....

PGA2B
10-07-2002, 09:48 AM
backing plate. Is the CMA velcro backing plate exactly 6" ?

Why couldn`t I just add some velcro strips to the back of the 7336 standard pad (16000) adn use it with my CMA polishing pad?

Man I can`t wait to use this thing. :bounce :bounce

thanks...

imported_BretFraz
10-07-2002, 11:05 AM
I have two concerns about velcro strips on a plain backing plate:

1. The strips may shift or fail at high speeds causing the pad to slip or even fly off.

2. The strips do not provide enough "sticking" power which will allow the pad to slip or fly off.

A velcro backing pad isn`t very expensive. Use the best tool possible for the job.

IIRC, even the Meguiar`s backing pad has had some problems (do a search if interested). So think of what kind of problems you could have with just a few little strips...

roller5435
10-07-2002, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by bretfraz

I have two concerns about velcro strips on a plain backing plate:

1. The strips may shift or fail at high speeds causing the pad to slip or even fly off.

2. The strips do not provide enough "sticking" power which will allow the pad to slip or fly off.

A velcro backing pad isn`t very expensive. Use the best tool possible for the job.

IIRC, even the Meguiar`s backing pad has had some problems (do a search if interested). So think of what kind of problems you could have with just a few little strips...

I had the same concerns, and decided to be over cautious and orderd the highly recommended CMA kit with the velcro backing plate. It caused me to have to wait another week before I get to have fun with my PC, but I`m comfortable I`m using the right tools now!! :xyxthumbs

bjwebster
10-07-2002, 11:10 AM
I wouldnt use the velcro strips. They fail when used with no force on them, I doubt they would hold up under high speed, even if glued on well.

shaf
10-07-2002, 01:46 PM
DON`T use the velcro strips! They suck for a few reasons: The adhesive is sometimes cheap and weak, and the "loops" aren`t the same industrial grade loops found on real velcro pads, which are much shorter and tougher.

But, you`re in luck! Go to a hardware store and buy a velcro (hook and loop) conversion kit or disc. Basically this is a hook side disc that sticks onto the sanding backing pad. It`s meant to convert self-adhesive sanding discs to use the velcro system. It`s usually 5" size, but people have used it just fine. Shouldn`t cost more than about $2 for one.

I talk about this in my thread for PCs in my signature below. :wavey

PGA2B
10-07-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by 4DSC

But, you`re in luck! Go to a hardware store and buy a velcro (hook and loop) conversion kit or disc. Basically this is a hook side disc that sticks onto the sanding backing pad. It`s meant to convert self-adhesive sanding discs to use the velcro system. It`s usually 5" size, but people have used it just fine. Shouldn`t cost more than about $2 for one.

I talk about this in my thread for PCs in my signature below. :wavey

Kool That is what i will do!!! thanks for the help guys.