PDA

View Full Version : Zaino - Syringes - Odd Latex

Old Rattle Flat
10-07-2002, 08:27 AM
Autopia is great! I’ve been searching and reading and learning - very addicting! Thanks for the great threads and all who are willing to keep repeating until even I get the idea. Just did my first Z over the weekend, and thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

My local drug store and vet did not have syringes larger that 25 cc to use as Z applicators. I found that California Veterinary Supply, www.calvetsupply.com <http://www.calvetsupply.com>, is one place that sells individual syringes over the net. Use the word “syringe” as your search criteria. A 30 cc is 0.59, a 60 cc is 0.85, there is a 35 cc Feeding Syringe for $1.39 that has a rubber cap over the tip, and a 140 cc is $6.28. Plus postage, of course.

I had trouble shaking a full syringe. I followed a suggestion on one of the threads to mix only a half batch, and that worked fine for me. Someone else suggested putting an agitator in the syringe to help, but I found that was not needed for the half syringe. If I was going to make a full syringe, I suspect a small lead sinker might make a good agitator. I believe lead is quite inert, so it might not react with Zaino, though I’d be inclined to ask Sal about that if I were going to try it.

www.lazaino.com <http://www.lazaino.com> is the Los Angeles Zaino distributor’s website, which has a fairly extensive “Application Tips” section on how to apply Z. One of the helpful hints was “I’ve been told that wearing a surgical rubber glove while using clay will dramatically enhance your ability to hold onto the clay bar.” I gave this a try using Eckerd Drug Store brand latex gloves with Z-18 and a 1:12 mixture of Dawn and water for the lubricant. How am I going to describe this? Within a minute or two or more of claying, the glove seemed to glue itself to the clay bar, or meld with the clay bar - I had to “sort of” pull, cut, and tear it away from the bar. Odd???:nixweiss

And — I wrote this message off-line with Word, and than did a cut and paste job. When I attempted to insert smilies, they would only add on to the end after "odd". What don`t I understand?