PDA

View Full Version : 3M SMR removed paint

imported_dickie
10-07-2002, 04:54 AM
Glazed my 4 week old red Skoda Octavia RS this weekend.

Did a good job masking the swirl marks. I also managed to get out the heavier swirls on the boot and rear spoiler with some 3m SMR and loads of elbow grease. Not perfect, but followed up with IHG. Then topped off with Blitz.

I did notice that paint came off the rear spoiler onto my micro-fibre cloth when I was working in the SMR. Didn`t happen anywhere else on the car. Although the spoiler is standard on this car, I wonder if maybe the paint job was newer, and not cured fully. Any ideas ?

The car is non-metallic red. Very similar to the tornado red on VW`s.

ALM
10-07-2002, 08:02 AM
Its perfectly normal to have your applicator pad turn the color that your finish is, as it is removing a micro-thin layer of paint, to polish out the swirls. SMR is very mild and shouldn`t damage your finish.

Richt
10-07-2002, 08:33 AM
No clearcoat on the spoiler??? Maybe cos its plastic?

imported_dickie
10-09-2002, 04:05 AM
Without the clearcoat; does this mean it will scratch easier ?

HellrotCi
10-09-2002, 07:40 AM
If your polishing pad was tinted by the paint finish, it`s not clear-coated. It may not scratch any easier, but it`s likely that over the years the color on the spoiler will fade at a different rate than the rest of the car. If it was my car, I`d remove the spoiler and have it repainted. You might even get the dealership you bought the car from to do this under warranty. Just make sure that whoever does the work removes the spoiler when they repaint it. Don`t worry about the paint not matching. With today`s paint systems and the fact your car is new, even metallic paints can be matched 100%.