PDA

View Full Version : Klasse AIO/SG advice needed

matt S8
10-06-2002, 09:30 PM
Some time ago I made up my mind to do the Klasse AIOx2/SGx3-4 then Souveranx2 combo.

I was all set, knew exactly what I planned on doing etc etc.. Then of course I put it off, forgot all the details. It seems the posts I was referring off of have since been lost. So now I have a couple questions.

Currently the car has been Dawned, Clay bared, and SMR via porter. Tomorrow I will lightly dawn it again and be ready for the first application of AIO.

These are my questions if anyone could help.

Best to apply and/or buff the AIO by machine or hand?

I read it is best to apply a thin coat of the AIO, then before buffing it off apply the 2nd coat. Then buff off.. How much curing time between applications and buffing?

Then should you wait before starting to apply the SG? I believe I read its best to apply as well as buff the SG all by hand, and to wait 24-48 hours after you apply to buff off. Do you need to wait after you buff it off to reapply between coats?

Also, has anything been agreed upon about removal, damp towel/dry towel.. all dry.. etc?

Any tips are very much appreciated.

Thank you

matt

imported_Intel486
10-06-2002, 09:53 PM
Well, I mainly use AIO as a cleaner to make sure the surface is clean for the SG. I will apply it by hand, wait about 10 mins for it to haze, and then buff it off. Some people apply it with their Dual-action (DA). I guess it is your choice.

AIO does provide a layer of protection so some people feel it is best to wait 24 hours before applying SG to make sure AIO`s layer of protection can cure. I usually apply SG right away though.

I`ll apply SG and wait 24 hours before buffing the residue off. To buff the residue off I first use a wet Microfiber towel and then a dry MF towel. I then go over the section again with a MF bonnet on my DeWalt DA buffer to make sure all the residue is gone. I will then wait another 24 hours before applying another coat of SG. I mainly do this because I live in a high humidity climate and the humidity will slow down the curing so I make sure I give it enough time to fully cure.

SergC
10-06-2002, 10:46 PM
Dawn is not necessary before AIO.AIO is a cleaner and will take care of any resedue of previously applyed wax or sealant.AIO can`t be layered;second "coat"will not make any difference.

Just apply AIO,buff off,apply 1 coat of SG(waiting period from 20 minutes to 24 hours,depending what people think is best),second coat of SG can be applyed again right away or in 24 hr.,or in a week...:xyxthumbs

imported_Tony
10-06-2002, 11:24 PM
Hi Matt:

I learned from intel that the longer you let SG dry (up to 24 hours) the easier SG is to remove. That does not mean you must wait 24 hours. About a year ago I tried to remove Sg before it was completely dry( it was getting dark) I had waited about an hour and a half. The SG was slightly gummy/ thats not a very good description but lets just say you can tell the difference between dry SG and when SG is not completely dry. I don`t wait 24 hours. What I like to do is QD if necessary late at night and then apply SG. Then the next morning remove SG using the two towel method About an 8 hour difference.

BTW: I have a tip that I use. I pour SG or AIO into small 3 ounce spray bottles that I purchase from Wal Mart. I shake an spray my mf applicator two or three time and wipe in the direction the wind blows over the vehicle. The point of having these small bottles is it helps you control the amount of product, it provides an even distribution of product on your applicator and prevents spillage. Oh yes it also easy to stick the bottle in your pocket and then you do not have to look for a place to set the large container.

Welcome and good luck!

imported_Intel486
10-06-2002, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by rightlane

BTW: I have a tip that I use. I pour SG or AIO into small 3 ounce spray bottles that I purchase from Wal Mart. I shake an spray my mf applicator two or three time and wipe in the direction the wind blows over the vehicle. The point of having these small bottles is it helps you control the amount of product, it provides an even distribution of product on your applicator and prevents spillage. Oh yes it also easy to stick the bottle in your pocket and then you do not have to look for a place to set the large container.

yhea, I remember that suggestion but haven`t gotten around to trying it. Sounds like it would work great! You may even be able to mist the paint instead of the applicator. hmmmm... might be making a stop at wal mart tomorrow :)

Honda Peddler
10-07-2002, 12:36 AM
I have my first Klasse experience coming up next weekend. I bought the Klasse combo on the recommendations I have seen here and because I can get it locally. Anyway there are 2 different ways to apply SG that Klasse recommends.

#1 - Put a small amount on a dry cloth and rub it in until it disappears

#2 - Put a small amount on a damp cloth, spread evenly, wait to dry, and buff off.

I have also seen numerous other ways recommended. I was at least going to try both of theese methods and see wich works better/faster/easier.

Bryn

imported_Tony
10-07-2002, 12:47 AM
bfourney... you can use method #1 which is ok with AIO and a PC, but SG needs time to dwell.

just my 2 cents..

good luck

imported_Tony
10-07-2002, 12:54 AM
Klasse instruction by jimwh: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=12590

Honda Peddler
10-07-2002, 01:00 AM
Right, I printed that one out and was going to try his method also.

Bryn

shaf
10-07-2002, 02:26 AM
Here`s how I do it... hope this doesn`t just confuse the issue. :p

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=133383#post133383

getfit74
10-07-2002, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by matt S8

Some time ago I made up my mind to do the Klasse AIOx2/SGx3-4 then Souveranx2 combo.

Currently the car has been Dawned, Clay bared, and SMR via porter. Tomorrow I will lightly dawn it again and be ready for the first application of AIO.

These are my questions if anyone could help.

Best to apply and/or buff the AIO by machine or hand?

I read it is best to apply a thin coat of the AIO, then before buffing it off apply the 2nd coat. Then buff off.. How much curing time between applications and buffing?

Then should you wait before starting to apply the SG? I believe I read its best to apply as well as buff the SG all by hand, and to wait 24-48 hours after you apply to buff off. Do you need to wait after you buff it off to reapply between coats?

Also, has anything been agreed upon about removal, damp towel/dry towel.. all dry.. etc?

Any tips are very much appreciated.

Thank you

matt

Skip the dawn wash it`s not needed, the AIO is a chemical cleaner and leaves a layer of acrylic on the paint. Apply Klasse by hand, it goes on REAL easy and will be faster and you get better coverage by hand. Let it cure for an hour after buffing it off then apply another layer. After 2 or 3 hours of buffing the last layer of AIO, apply your SG. Let that cure on the paint without buffing off for as long as you can. 2 or 3 hours is sufficient. then buff off. If you have trouble with the SG some say to spritz with water and buff off, I`ve never had to do that though. After the first SG layer wait 24 hours before your next coat.

roller5435
10-07-2002, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Avalanche

Skip the dawn wash it`s not needed, the AIO is a chemical cleaner and leaves a layer of acrylic on the paint.

When applying Klasse for the first time, we definitely need to wash the car first!! So is there any harm in using Dawn to do this? Dawn is a lot cheaper than my fav car wash (P21S auto body shampoo) and so I`d rather just use the Dawn, and save the P21S for after the car(s) are treated and protected.

Please tell me if I still shouldn`t use the Dawn...

Thanks!

getfit74
10-07-2002, 09:03 AM

Skip the dawn wash it`s not needed, the AIO is a chemical cleaner and leaves a layer of acrylic on the paint. Apply Klasse by hand, it goes on REAL easy and will be faster and you get better coverage by hand. Let it cure for an hour after buffing it off then apply another layer. After 2 or 3 hours of buffing the last layer of AIO, apply your SG. Let that cure on the paint without buffing off for as long as you can. 2 or 3 hours is sufficient. then buff off. If you have trouble with the SG some say to spritz with water and buff off, I`ve never had to do that though. After the first SG layer wait 24 hours before your next coat.

I certianly didnt mean to NOT wash the car, just use a regular car wash. Thanks for cathcing that.

Dawn serves no purpose and isnt beneficial in this process, and is believed by many, including myself, too hash to use often. Its only a step you would use when you are using a product that requires NO oils, silicone, or waxes left on the surface, like Zaino. In fact that is where dawn got its mythical reputation. All it is is a high alkaline wash to cut oils and leftover layers of wax. Once or twice a year maybe OK but why not avoid it if possible.

roller5435
10-07-2002, 10:38 AM

I certianly didnt mean to NOT wash the car, just use a regular car wash. Thanks for cathcing that.

Dawn serves no purpose and isnt beneficial in this process, and is believed by many, including myself, too hash to use often. Its only a step you would use when you are using a product that requires NO oils, silicone, or waxes left on the surface, like Zaino. In fact that is where dawn got its mythical reputation. All it is is a high alkaline wash to cut oils and leftover layers of wax. Once or twice a year maybe OK but why not avoid it if possible.

Okay - gotcha!! I certainly would rather be gentle on my paint and finish. I mean - if Dawn can cut through cooking grease to clean dishes - what is it doing to the paint finish? ;) So if regular car wash is good enough prep for AIO, then that`s what I`ll do!!