PDA

View Full Version : Rock Chip Repair in Winsheild

drdetail
10-05-2002, 09:23 PM
Any good products out there to fill a good 1 centimeter sized chip on my winshield.

shaf
10-06-2002, 03:12 AM
My understanding is that it`s best to just take it to a glass shop... :nixweiss

If I recall right, a glass shop wanted only $50 Cdn (like $30 US) to do up to 3 chips. Take it in and ask them. Then they could say if it even is fixable (sometimes they`re not).

Loctite makes a DIY kit though...

CharlesW
10-06-2002, 08:20 AM
If you check with your insurance company, you might find that they will waive the deductible on your comprehensive coverage. In other words, they pay for the repair in full. Not all companies will do this, but quite a few will. It`s a good trade-off for them, $30 for the repair against the cost of a replacement windshield. As with detailers, there are some hackers out there, so you might want to ask around for some recommendations. Also, if the chip is in your normal vision or line of sight, you may not be happy with it. There is usually some distortion that is no real problem unless you are looking at it constantly.

Charles

CharlesW
10-06-2002, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by ejant

Like Charles said about insurance Your policy has to state full glass coverage. This means there is no deductible for glass.

Since there is so much difference in various companies coverage, the only way to be sure is to contact "your" company. Even if you do have a deductible glass coverage, the company may choose to pay for the repair. Otherwise they may have to pay a larger amount for their share of a windshield replacement. Insurance companies are statistic and money driven. What results in the least cost to them, is what makes the decision for them.

Charles

vroddad
10-07-2002, 02:48 AM
Is there a way to repair a chip so that it is invisible?

CharlesW
10-07-2002, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Frederf

Is there a way to repair a chip so that it is invisible?

None of the many. (8+?), repairs I have had done were truly invisible. If you looked closely there was some distortion in the glass. That`s why I suggested in my earlier post, that if the repair will be in your line of sight, you may not be happy with it. IMO, it is another one of those things that has its place, but is not the answer to every chip problem.

Charles

imported_billyboy1955
10-07-2002, 09:32 AM
Frederf,

I have had two chips repaired and the shop that did the work allowed me to watch the entire process. A small is drilled into the center of the chip with a diamond drill bit. The chip repair apparatus is placed over the hole and a vacuum is applied for five minutes. The vacuum is released and the liquid chip repair solution is sucked into the entire chip area then pressure is applied for 10 minutes. The repair is then fast cured with a special florescent light device that is placed over the chip. A razor blade is then used to remove any excess.

The chips are still noticeable but they look about 80% better. This process will stop the potential for the chip to spread, and the shop guarantees the work.

Some chips are not worth repairing. If you see any cracks within the chip then they should be done because they can spread.

I have been visiting this forum every day for almost a year and this is my first post.

vroddad
10-07-2002, 03:19 PM
Yeah, I`ve had that repair process done too. I was wondering if there was this magical new process that left it invisible... no luck t hen.