PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about the new 2003 BMW Z4?

Pages : [1] 2

rstype
10-05-2002, 11:54 AM
Personally, I was disappointed that it had the Chris Bangle-look, but I like how the aggressive lines flow throughout the whole car. And it definitely is a lot nicer than a 745i...

http://www.bmwworld.com/pics/z4/7808_1024.jpg

You`ll see what I mean if you notice how the lines of the headlight go all the way back to the door.... and the lines of the door goees up the bumper and into the hood... see what I mean with the "continuous sweep?"

http://www.bmwworld.com/pics/z4/7953_1024.jpg

http://www.bmwworld.com/pics/z4/7966_1024.jpg

offcenter
10-05-2002, 01:02 PM
I like it a lot! I never cared for the looks of the Z3, I thought the Boxster was a much nicer looking car but the Z4 is pretty sweet.....

chevyguy28
10-05-2002, 01:28 PM
Way better than the current car. Waiting for M version, then waiting for new gen SLK AMG to compare!

Brodydog
10-05-2002, 04:41 PM
I like it. BMW is pushing new designs. There is a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth, but, hey, things move forward.

HellrotCi
10-05-2002, 05:11 PM
First of all BMW cars are known as Bimmers, their motorcycles are known as Beamers. As far as the Z4 goes, I think it`s really cool looking. The way the lines are drawn on the sides make the car look like it`s hugging the ground. The Z4 is way more aggressive looking, it makes the Z3 look wimpy, old and tired.

chevyguy28
10-05-2002, 05:51 PM
It may have taken a while, but the new BMW designs are starting to grow on me just a little. I also like where Mercedes is going with their cars, and for that matter, Audi. Exciting time for the Germans.

What chassis is the Z4 based on, or is it new? The suspension is modified from the E46.

rstype
10-05-2002, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by HellrotCi

First of all BMW cars are known as Bimmers, their motorcycles are known as Beamers.

Yea, I knew that... :D I was just being a bit sarcastic for those who drive their "Beamers" for the image. "I got a new Beamer." Ya see what I mean? :D I had "Bimmer" on the first choice for a reason.

IMO, the Z4 is a good modern interpretation of the classic Z3. I love how both the old and new Z`s front fenders seemingly blend into the hood. The aggressive flares just melt into the bodywork. The wheels on the 2.5i Sport model look hideous though...

http://build.bmwusa.com/yourbmw/z4/z425i/side/0325_354_PROFILE_ZSP_KASW.jpg

http://www.buick.com/images/parkavenue/photo01.jpg

It looks stolen from a Buick.

Scottwax
10-05-2002, 06:44 PM
I think BMW should give me one to drive for the next 3-4 years so I can have a more informed opinion. :xyxthumbs

imported_BretFraz
10-06-2002, 08:55 AM
I`m not really a BMW person but I did find the early comments of the Z4 interesting. One thing is undisputable though - everyone who commented on the car never actually saw one. 100% of the comments came after seeing a pic (the same pic, I think) circulated on the net. Kinda hard to pass judgement on a design that no one has every really seen. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I am glad to see BMW pushing the design envelope with their new cars. As their prices continue to climb their cars need more to differentiate themselves from the pack and this is prolly the way to go.

PakShak
10-06-2002, 09:45 AM
Sweet! What do you think about the Nissan 350Z? That looks pretty nice too.

With Aloha,

Ranney

rmccall6
10-06-2002, 12:58 PM
I think the 350z looks awesome, but hey, I own one.:D

rstype
10-06-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Brad4rdHay

I think the 350z looks awesome, but hey, I own one.:D

Welcome back, Brad! :)

rmccall6
10-06-2002, 07:24 PM
Yeah I`m getting a little bit of that Autopia Itch again. And now I have a car of my own to detail.

The car is a 2003, 350z. The color is a medium silver, with a black interior and "burnt orange" leather seats. It looks awesome (but the front grille look s a tad off). I get honks, thumbs and stares everywhere I go. Sometimes its not as cool as it sounds, as people will try to get a closer look and end up tailing you for few miles...before I pull away of course.

The car`s is very solid and tightly wound. No rattles except for small things like the seatbelt or visor (though theres a clip for the belt and Nissan is sending me a new visor:) ) Its a great handler, especially with the Vehicle Dynamics Control off. It will make you fell the bumps but never looses composure. Steering feel is AWESOME.

The 3.5 Liter V6 is very torquey, but the torque build the best in the 4000-5000 range so its not a low end grunter. But what a blast it is to open her up as the power just builds and builds! The throtle is awesome, as it very linear and you can add or take off a few MPH with surgical precision. Id say the power is a few ponies shy of being a 1997 Porsche 996 (got to drive one for a few min)

The six-speed gearbox is great, very mechanical.

Sory about turning this into a 350z thread

:( :D

AD Qi
10-08-2002, 06:35 AM
The Z4 is going the way that other car models are going. Soon it will look like just another car on the road. It has its own looks as the Z3. A retro to the 60s/70s. I have a Z3. I tested cars in its range for months proir to buying it. I didn`t find anything to compare to it in a lower price range. The car handles as a Roadster should. Sweet/quick/quiet. I take curves at high speeds and not hear a sound from the car. It hugs the road and begs for more.

clint
10-08-2002, 10:11 AM
I`ve never seen a z4 in person, just those photos.

I think, considering what bmw has been designing lately, the z4 looks quite good.

I can`t figure out why the scar like slash in the front fender with the bmw logo in the abnoxious round recess- and the rear end looks dangerously like the honda roadster rear.

To me the badges on the side would look better moved down some and foward a little, nearer the intersection of the side recess and the fender slash thing. Could then get rid of the round recess in the middle of the slash..

The boot lid could be helped if the turned up section in the middle were not there- it reminds me of a hogs snout when I see the turn-up part.

If it were rounded down like the front is near the grilles, and the center brake light moved to the base of the rear glass, it would look cleaner.

It is a vast improvement over the shoe`s looks-

I like shoes- I want one but my wife fobids it..

dang.. she calls it something else i won`t mention here.

It looks like a lot of fun.