PDA

View Full Version : Engine Cleaning

aerogt01
10-04-2002, 10:04 PM
Just a quick question...Does Washing a cold engine mess up the electronics in the engine??

I used to hose my 94 Explorer all the time....But I now have a 99TL and I haven`t hosed the engine down since I purchased it in 99.. It is pretty clean but I want to make it sparkling..Is it safe..??

caddyman
10-04-2002, 10:26 PM
yea, it is ok to degrease it, just dont use high pressure.

FocusRun
10-04-2002, 11:15 PM
Sorry about this ignorant question. Would it be a good idea to steam clean the engine with a steam vacuum? or one of them steam gizmos

thanks

laynlow
10-05-2002, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by FocusRun

Sorry about this ignorant question. Would it be a good idea to steam clean the engine with a steam vacuum? or one of them steam gizmos

thanks

A professional steam cleaning is really the ideal way to clean an engine. It is the safest for the electronics and has the power to cut the crud. When my dealership quit offering that service, I started doing it with my power washer. This method works equally well, but extra caution with sensitive components must be taken. The steam cleaners that are avaliable in retail stores now are a joke. I tried the Eureka and promptly took it back. It didn`t have the power for simple home cleaning, nevermind a dirty engine.

If you would like to see my one of my engines check out this thread:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13432&highlight=engine