PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Inside of Windsheild?

Pages : [1] 2

mr.thetank
10-04-2002, 10:48 AM
I was cleaning the inside of my V70 before going on a long drive to pittsburg from philly and noticed that inside of the windsheild is not near as slick as the side windows from what I could tell when wiping down with the viper window cloth. It seemed to stick to the windshield and just glided over the side windows. The windsheild also seems to develop a hazed quite easily. Any suggestions on how to really give the inside a good cleaning? Autoglym glass polish?

I am obsessed with having clean crisp windows and this is driving me crazy.

Thanks

Jngrbrdman
10-04-2002, 11:01 AM
My Mustang gave me the problem of hazing up right before I sold it. I never did figure it out. They (Ford) thought it might be something wrong with it that was blowing fumes up through the defrost vent or something like that.

A dry MF towel is the best on interior glass. Unless you allow smoking in your car (shame on you ;) ) then there shouldn`t be too much crap on the inside of your glass anyway. You should be able to just wipe the haze right off.

If you want to really spend some time on your glass then you could polish it out. I use Invisible Glass on the insides of my windows. It takes a bit of work to get it streak free, but its worth it. Cleaning glass is tougher than removing swirls sometimes I think. lol

2wheelsx2
10-04-2002, 01:00 PM
Jngr, you use a "dry" MF on the inside? When my MF`s are dry, they always drag across glass, feeling like it`s leaving stuff behind. Do you miss with water, or is it really just dry.

imported_BretFraz
10-04-2002, 01:46 PM
IG and a dedicated Mf does the trick for me. Use the glass polish only if you really need it.

As for slickness, assuming you didn`t use something on the exterior glass then it may be a coating applied by the glass mfr.

MikeLS
10-04-2002, 02:02 PM
I`ve found DuraGloss glass cleaner and a MF to be very good at removing and preventing that annoying film. I actually got the DG glass cleaner as a sample with one of their polishes, and it`s good stuff for the $$. It really cut the film right off and left a crystal clear surface. One of the better cleaners I`ve tested.

Mike

:)

Lemonxxs
10-04-2002, 03:02 PM
I think BMW means the inside of windows....which I would not use a glass polish as it makes a mess and well IMO is not needed on the inside....

AS Bret said dedicated towels...some stoners IG or Eagle one 20/20 and cleannnnnnnnnnn...for heavy build up 2-3 applications may be required...

Jngrbrdman
10-04-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

Jngr, you use a "dry" MF on the inside? When my MF`s are dry, they always drag across glass, feeling like it`s leaving stuff behind. Do you miss with water, or is it really just dry.

Yup. Bone dry. If you keep on top of em, it actually doesn`t take a whole lot of effort to wipe off some haze. If they are really dirty then I would hit them with some Invisible Glass first. The dry MF is basicly for `keep up` stuff.

Lowejackson
10-04-2002, 04:16 PM
I have been using Autoglym on the inside of the glass for over a year - no problems yet, although it is callled a polish it is not abbrasive. Damn good glass cleaner though.

Steven

TurboCat
10-04-2002, 05:14 PM
I use a "suede" microfiber cloth I purchased from JT International. All I have to do is wipe the glass and it is clean. This thing is amazing! It is designed to use on glass, a little different from the regular mf towels. I think I`m gonna get another one!

I have also used Invisible Glass, and wadded up newspaper. But my favorite thing is that little mf cloth from Tom Gong!

:up

2wheelsx2
10-04-2002, 05:31 PM
I have one of these "suede" MF`s from Neatitems, and it works well, but not for really soiled windows, as it gets clogged from too much dirt. For those, I wipe with a damp terry towel first to get all the grunge, and then follow with the MF and 20/20.

But this routine hasn`t worked for my rear window, which has a defroster on it. I guess I am just kind of afraid of scrubbing hard on those delicate lines. :(

atravis149
10-05-2002, 07:47 AM
maybe try using a mixture of vinegar and water. Occasionally, the glass just doesn`t seem to get clean on the windshield and wants to haze quickly. When this happens I put together a mixture of vinegar & water about 50:50 and apply to the glass using a small kitchen sponge and remove with a MF towel. This has always corrected the problem on interior glass for me.

tuckerc
10-05-2002, 03:24 PM
I use Eagle One 20/20 with some newspaper to clean the insides of my glass. Works great, and no streaking at night. :)

matt@wheelwax
10-05-2002, 03:25 PM
I have the same problem with my windshield, but not the side glass. Whenever I clean the inside with some invisible glass, for about 2 weeks after I have to rub out the haze daily, and then it just magically stops hazing for some reason? I use a decent 100% cotton towel, it works for the windshield just fine!

tuckerc
10-05-2002, 03:38 PM
The haze is just caused by the evaporation of the dash materials, it happens mainly when you park your car in the sun.

Scottwax
10-05-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Deception

The haze is just caused by the evaporation of the dash materials, it happens mainly when you park your car in the sun.

Hey...that`s what I was going to say.

I have a customer with a Ferrari 348 Spider that had that annoying haze for about 2 years. Eagle 20/20 would take it right off, but two weeks later when I would wash it again, the haze was back.