PDA

View Full Version : Goo Gone

Pages : [1] 2 3

metko
10-04-2002, 10:23 AM
I got this stuff from Home Depot and I have to say this stuff is amazing. It sounds like people have bought a similar product from Home Depot. I am not sure if they are the same, but what I bought seems different because mine smells just like paint thinner and boy is it strong smelling.

I originally bought Goo Gone because I got some gunck on my seatbelt and could not for the life of me get it off. This stuff took it right off. There have been a couple of occasions where this stuff has helped immensly.

Just the other day I was trying to get some sap off the car. I was starting to get scared that it would not come off. I tried a lot of soap and a lot of elbow grease to no avail. Then I was hunting around in my stuff to see what I had. I found my Goo Gone and this stuff did in a quick wipe what ten minutes of soap and elbow grease could not do. It looks as if it did very little to, no harm, to the paint, which is what I was worried most about. I naturely put a coat of wax on the spot after I was done.

I would highly recommend everyone keep a bottle of this stuff around for those hard to remove gunck spots.

MikeLS
10-04-2002, 10:36 AM
On our local news station last night, they tested De-Solv-It and found it to be superior to GG, for less money, and you get more product to boot. I may have to give DSI a try as their tests proved it to be capable of removing some bad gunk. I`ve never used GG, but thanks for the review!

:)

Jngrbrdman
10-04-2002, 10:40 AM
Goo Gone didn`t work very well for the sap that I bought it to remove. I bought it at the same time I bought the Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover. That stuff worked better on the sap for me. I just kept the Goo Gone on a shelf untill I found something to use it on. I did a car a few weeks ago that had a bumpersticker removed off the back bumper. Whoever took it off did a crap job because they left all the glue behind. Now it was a big black sticky spot. After a year or two it was pretty solid. Goo Gone and a tooth brush made short work of it. It definatly has its purposes. :xyxthumbs

shaf
10-04-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by rmerikle

I got this stuff from Home Depot and I have to say this stuff is amazing. It sounds like people have bought a similar product from Home Depot. I am not sure if they are the same, but what I bought seems different because mine smells just like paint thinner and boy is it strong smelling. Strange, my Goo Gone smells pleasantly of orange oil or something. If I didn`t know it was a cleaner/degreaser/glue remover I would`ve thought it just to be an air freshener! :nixweiss

I bought it because some genius (who shall remain anonymous) had tracked gum onto my black carpeting! :mad: I heard Goo Gone would work so I rubbed some in with a paper towel and it did indeed seem to come out with the lint of the towel.

derrickm
10-04-2002, 11:33 AM
I thought I read on this board before that goo gone was not good to use on your paint?? Seems like somebody said it ate through the clear coat or something....I could be wrong though.:nixweiss

Taxlady
10-04-2002, 11:41 AM
I couldn`t find Goo Gone, so I bought Goof Off. It contains xylene, so I still haven`t opened the can. Goof Off makes two other formulas, one citrus based, so maybe Goo Gone does too.

I got the old adhesive off my rear window with a melaleuca (tea tree) oil solvent.

TurboCat
10-04-2002, 12:12 PM
Goo Gone smells like oranges - if yours smells like paint thinner, then you probably didn`t buy Goo Gone, maybe some other similarly named product.

Goo Gone also makes a formula specifically for cars and car finishes. I have used it on my Passat several times and have had no problems with it.

I also like Stoner`s Tarminator, although THAT stuff definitely has an unpleasant odor! But it works well.

thegeek
10-07-2002, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Taxlady

I couldn`t find Goo Gone, so I bought Goof Off. It contains xylene, so I still haven`t opened the can. Goof Off makes two other formulas, one citrus based, so maybe Goo Gone does too.

I got the old adhesive off my rear window with a melaleuca (tea tree) oil solvent.

Goof Off is STRONG! Definately don`t use that on your car. I painted my lower side rockers and messed up, and that stuff ate through the paint EASY after it was all dry (had them professionally done after by a friend`s shop for mad cheap), and also had some paint on an exhaust tip which came out with the Goof Off easy with just one wipe on a towel.

Taxlady
10-07-2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by 94AccordSedanEX

Goof Off is STRONG! Definately don`t use that on your car. I painted my lower side rockers and messed up, and that stuff ate through the paint EASY after it was all dry (had them professionally done after by a friend`s shop for mad cheap), and also had some paint on an exhaust tip which came out with the Goof Off easy with just one wipe on a towel.

Maybe I`ll give it a try. I still have those paint spots on my rocker panels that I got from the road stripes. I`ll be sure to do it outdoors.:scared

oorc51
10-07-2002, 09:27 PM
When I had a few little drops of tree sap on my windows I used straight up lighter fluid and it took it right out. I`ve also used it on the rocker panels, but I have yet to try it on my paint. It`s probably too strong to use on paint anyway.

vroddad
10-08-2002, 02:56 AM
Agreed, Goof Off is some nasty stuff... one time my dad used it to remove gum from my hair... yeah, thanks, that was pleasant on the scalp.

F150BOB
10-09-2002, 02:47 PM
I`ve used Goo Gone to remove tape residue from my home carpet, it worked well. It also worked to remove tree sap from a fleece vest.

But, then again, I used peanut butter to remove tree sap from my hand and it worked too. :cool:

Sharkie
10-09-2002, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Frederf

Agreed, Goof Off is some nasty stuff... one time my dad used it to remove gum from my hair... yeah, thanks, that was pleasant on the scalp.

Heh..I did the same thing when I got paint in my hair. My brilliant solution was to get in the tub to soak my head. Well after a few minutes the skin on the rest of body started to burn too :eek:

brenesx
10-12-2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by MikeLS

On our local news station last night, they tested De-Solv-It and found it to be superior to GG, for less money, and you get more product to boot. I may have to give DSI a try as their tests proved it to be capable of removing some bad gunk. I`ve never used GG, but thanks for the review!

:)

I actually bought both, and now just buy the De-solv-it (I have other stuff, but it’s unworthy of mention). I`d like to find a cheaper place to buy it, but it works great for car gunk removal, tape, labels that you would think would never come off, and other than making my hands too bloody dry from over handling the stuff, it`s safe enough to use to remove gum stuck in a child’s hair!

They`re both pretty good, but the de-solv-it just seems to be easier on my mitts and better at removing the stuff I run into...

YMMV

Ckotsios
10-18-2002, 10:02 PM
Rubbing alcohol seems to soften and then remove tree sap and doesn`t seem to damage paint or clearcoat. Takes a little work though but seems safe. Then touch up with wax after rinsing with water.

Mick