PDA

View Full Version : good STRONG metal polish? with a PC?

Bluedog
10-03-2002, 09:58 PM
Does anyone have good expereince with a metal polish that has enough power to restore a pretty old and used stainless steel exhuast muffler? I bought a used one (because mine was stolen, long story) off ebay. normally my exhaust is perfectly shiny like the rest of the car. however this one im getting soon from ebay looks neglected and never been taken care of.

i usually use Meguairs gold class metal polish, it works great for all my metal shinning needs. however, i dont think its strong enough to restore a old and used piece of metal. Anyone with suggestions? Also, are there good ones i can use with a PC to get even greater results? with what pad?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

admac
10-03-2002, 10:00 PM
i bought a product called simi-chrome. i never used it on the motorcycle that i bought it for. but i have an old mg project car in my garage and the simichrome took off some major rust with a little dab on a shop rag. i suspect it would do wonders with a pc. it`s supposed to be great for polishing up aluminum as well. but i think it`s a pain to find and i don`t remember where i bought it. somewhere online.

C. Charles Hahn
10-03-2002, 10:12 PM
have you thought about just using the gold class metal restorer as a starting point?? Also, in my experience, Mother`s Mag/Aluminum polish does wonders on stainless steel stuff.....

you might try using some of the (smaller than PC size) pads that CMA sells to attach an electric drill to.... might be easier to work with for you. :up

forrest@mothers
10-04-2002, 10:36 AM
Since stainless is so much harder than aluminum, the polish needs to be much more aggressive. If you decide to use an aluminum polish, you `ll need lots of speed on a wheel or RO, and an aggressive pad (wool or terry cloth).

Heat is your enemy (it`ll turn it blue), so use light pressure and lots of RPMs.

Bluedog
10-04-2002, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by forrest

Heat is your enemy (it`ll turn it blue), so use light pressure and lots of RPMs.

oh i didnt know that... thanks for the tip:up

Detailing NY
10-04-2002, 04:53 PM
Be careful with lots of RPM`s though. You must remeber the faster something spins the more heat is can create.

I would use medium speed and moderate pressure and see what happens.

NYD